japanese hole punch

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by NULLMOON, Feb 21, 2008.

1. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

ive just bitten the bullet and boght one of these my god there pricey i hope there worth it ordered the punch which comes with 1.2mm, 1.5mm,1.8mm, 2.0mm,2.5mm,3.0mm, 3.5mm,4.0mm who else on here has one
  2. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Nullmoon:

These work well!

You will like them!

Jim
  3. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Yes, it's expensive, and yes it's worth it. One of the best tools I ever bought!
  4. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Ditto! Got one and love it!
  5. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

thats what i wanted to hear ..it reassures my bank balance:mrgreen: will 1.2mm be small enogh to make 1/25 rivets?
  6. Art Decko

Art Decko Member

In case anyone is looking for more info on these ... I think there are two kinds of screw punches out there. The nicer but more expensive ones are made in Japan, and from what I've seen, go for about $28 without bits, or about $65 with nine bits.

There is also a lower quality version produced in China, it goes for about $28 including five bits.

Since the tool is designed primarily for use in binding books, or for working with leather and fabric, cutting a single sheet of card is not much of a challenge. From reports at this forum, the cheap imitations work fine for this (disclaimer: I don't have one - I'm waiting for delivery :)).

Be careful when you order them, the bits are available in either metric or imperial dimensions, I think most places sell either one or the other, so check that if that matters.
  7. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

i went for the more expensive japanese version i might be worth finding out if the bits fit the cheaper variants and vice versa
  8. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I bought the expensive Japanese version and the bits work great, but the handle mechanism is a little sticky. I put some white lithium grease on the moving parts but that didn't seem to help much. It does cut beautiful holes, though.
  9. NYC Irish

NYC Irish Member

ehhhh?

Anyone got a pciture of what we are talking about?

I was looking at something in a Micro Mark Catalogue but if the senior members are giving something else a thumbs up Id like to go with that...

Thanks
    John John
  10. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I didn't buy mine from this company, but it's the same drill and the same price.

Japanese Book Drill

Attached Files:

11. NULLMOON

NULLMOON Member

i got mine from a bookmaking company the same place i get my 1mm,2mm etc card from