January 11th Weekly Photo Fun

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's a shot of CNR U-1-f Mountain 6060, somewhere near Yager, Ont., in the Niagara peninsula. In the summers in the mid-'70s, CN substituted this loco and train for the usual RDCs on the Toronto to Niagara Falls mid-day run. This was on Wednesdays and Saturdays only, for the usual fare. For an extra charge, you could ride the train to Yager, where it was turned for the return run. As an added bonus, you got a couple of run-pasts.
CNR_6060_near_Yager_Ont_-_Sept_4_1976_-_view_1.jpg

The original photo was backlit, and I managed to alter it enough while scanning to get some of the detail, albeit at the expense of the colour.
Here's a more true-to-life version of the colour:
CNR_6060_at_Niagara_Falls_Ont_-_Sept_4_1976_-_view_1.jpg

And the other half of the picture (note the folding seat in the doorway - for either the headend brakeman or the Road Foreman of Locomotives)
CNR_6060_at_Niagara_Falls_Ont_-_Sept_4_1976_-_view_2.jpg

Wayne

chessie4155

Mar 17, 2006
Vincennes, Ind.
www.geocities.com
Doctor Wayne: Sweet looking Steamer:thumb:
Tom: WOW! Excellent looking layout.:thumb: I wished mine looked that good. I Like the Eiffell Tower setting at the roundhouse and I'm sorry to nitpic but in the last pic it looks like your chairs are the wrong scale!:p:mrgreen:
Great start to this weeks thread:thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
great pictures so far. Wayne I really appriciate the pictures of 6060 since I recently picked up a basket case IHC President's choice 6060 and will be making that into a future project.
I guess your 'vintage pictures have inspired me:
These were taken on a family camping trip through the rocky moutains in 1988. These three were taken just west of the spiral tunnels coming done the hill to Field, BC.

FieldhillCPRJuly1988003.jpg

I belive this is a 2.2% grade coming down the hill. The Dynamics on the SD040's were working overtime as were the entire train's brakes
FieldhillCPRJuly1988001.jpg

Brake smoke anyone?
FieldhillCPRJuly1988002.jpg

I have other pictures from that trip and I'll post them sometime later.

cnw1961

Jan 7, 2006
Germany
Wayne, that’s a really nice steamer :thumb:
Spankybird, very nice layout with a unique mixture of structures :wave:.
Glen, great shots. I especially like the smoking brakes.

Here is a picture of my favorite engine, my Stewart Baldwin VO-1000 with LokSound – it looks terrific, sounds great and runs even better :twisted:.

070108-1.jpg

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Actually the trans Canada Highway is only a couple hundred feet behind where I took them. Both the CPR mainline and the Highway follow almost the same route through this small pass. The Campground where my Family was staying (20 years ago) was a couple miles from the town of Field. The trail that my father and I took was a couple miles long but definetly worth it. It followed the original rail line from brfore the Famous Spiral Tunnels were built. There's even the remains of an abandoned Narrow gauge steam engine up there. I'll try to dig up a picture of that.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Wayne...I always like to see steam in colour:thumb:
Spankybird...you just keep posting those great pics every week!:thumb:
Glen...spectacular!:thumb:
Kurt...That is a beautiful engine:thumb:....I think I need one of those:winker:

This is one of my favorite shots:

photos234.jpg

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Great pictures everyone! I need to take more photos so in the mean time I devised this bit of silliness with an old shot that didn't look good in color.

11-4-2007-24.jpg

Ralph

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
I'll bet that Vito Imbroglio, whose body was stuffed in the trunk of the Caddie that was just dropped into the crusher, wishes that he wasn't there!! :twisted::p;):-D:-D

Wayne

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Wayne
Great proto steam shots to start us off!

Tom
That is a great looking layout!

Glen
Cool proto shots!

Kurt
Great looking loco!

Steve
That is a great shot! I can see why it is one your favorites!

Ralph
Cool pic!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
Since I have not been able to get any modeling photos I decided to look through some of my railfan photos I had scanned. These are from the late 80’s and early 90’s

chessie_amos.jpg

EB Chessie Train on the Philadelphia Subdivision approaching Amosland Road, Holmes, PA

B_O_at_amosland.jpg

WB B&O loco on the Philadelphia Subdivision crossing Amosland Road, Holmes, PA

rf_p_3.jpg

WB Orange Blossom Special about to cross Ashland Avenue, Glenolden, PA

Conrail_e8_edit.jpg

SB Conrail E8 at Chester, PA

I am hoping to get some of the cars I have been working on finished shortly and then I should have some new modeling photos.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Wayne, GREAT start to this weeks thread:thumb: , i like the engine, but the tender is SLAP AWESOME!:thumb::mrgreen: Hmm...i am pretty sure nutbar has that engine, but i don't recall that type of tender behind it:confused: .

GREAT SHOTS FOLKS!:thumb::mrgreen: TONS of proto pics & FANTASTIC modeling pics this week:thumb:

the first shots for Kurt:mrgreen: , MY VO1000:thumb:
SECOND shot...well, its not an old railfan pic:eek:ops: , but its one of my favorites i took in Rochelle:mrgreen: .
VO1000.JPG

DSC08034.JPG

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Wayne and Charlie, you guys are right on target regarding the original inspiration for that auto salvage scene on my layout. Jeffery seems to be coincidentally continuing the theme with his loco number choice! :)

Ralph

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Actually, my reference was much more personal: it was a Caddie (from the dealership which he owned), although the family insists on not talking about it. ;)

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Ok Wayne, Does this have something to do with Gern Industries?:mrgreen:

Not at all, Charlie, sorry to appear misleading. The late Mr. Imbroglio was a family member who moved to Pennsylvania many years ago. There are other family members who maintain that he's still alive, although to a man, they all refuse further comment.

Wayne ;)