Jakar alluminium alloy hobby knife

Discussion in 'Tools of the Trade' started by col, Jun 16, 2007.

1. col

col Member

Hi guys, i just recieved this as an early fathers day present (because im at work tomorrow early:cry: )and also a pack of ten spare blades by impex,all for the princely sum of just less than £4,being relatively new to the card models scene,and because i hav'nt done one yet,what do you think of what i have ? is it suitable or do i need to upgrade soon as i plan on doing my first model soon.Thanks :)

col
  2. BARX2

BARX2 Member

I assume you mean this? Looks like a perfectly good knife - like a copy of an X-acto knife. It should work great for card models, but you'll want to stock up on #11 blades. They will be most useful with this knife, in my opinion.

[​IMG]
  3. col

col Member

Thanks for the quick reply,and yes thats the knife,but it came on its own with a very pointed blade in,the others were in a plastic box holding ten bought seperately,and look like an elongated D shape,i could only see the number ten on the corner of the blister pack of blades,but wonder if that means the number of blades in the box? not sure what you mean by "11",i gather its the size,but couldnt see anything else other than the 10 ?

col
  4. BARX2

BARX2 Member

The blade in the upper right corner in that picture looks like a #11 blade - yes, it's the size. It's probably the most useful blade for card modeling - again, in my opinion. I haven't had much use for the D shaped blades. If your package of blades hasn't been opened yet, see if you can exchange it for the #11 blades. Have fun and post a picture when you do build a model!
  5. BARX2

BARX2 Member

Oh, Happy Father's Day, too! :)
  6. col

col Member

That was the one that came with the knife(11)i agree,it looks the most practical,ill see about getting some,and my first build is going to be a difficult choice,there are so many to choose from,:) Thanks again,and happy fathers day to all you daddies too:)

col
  7. David H

David H Member

Hi Col,

I bought the same knife from my local art/hobby shop last year and it's a fine tool. I use it for cutting thicker or laminated card and form wide curves / tudes around the handle.

I use it, a Stanley retractable and a couple of Swan and Morton scalpels (10a and 11) along with two or three pairs of cheep scissors (including some diddy ones with adjustable jaws; I also have about 10 sets of tweezers (cheep) plastic clamps and clothes pegs. I have had an Ofla cutter for years, steel rules the same.

The rest of my modelling stuff would be best described as found objects and hand me downs from DIY!

Not what you got but what you do with it that counts!

D
  8. col

col Member

Hi David,what you say sounds good to me,im curious and interested,there will probably be something somewhere on here that i hav'nt read yet,but what is the average toolbox of you guys,it would be good to see some pics of what you guys use,point me to the thread if its been done,but i think it would be interesting and a help to see to us newbies:)

col
  9. David H

David H Member

Tidy for once

Hi Col,

Just getting ready for bed and took the time to organise.

View attachment 12559

It just about fits in a pencil case and metal tin and one drawer of the desk...

I forgot to list the glue, paints and stack of card collected from the recycling, nail files, permagrit....

I may need to simplify the old building kit!

D
  10. col

col Member

Thanks for that David,but im getting a pic of a diorama with a van in it,very good though:thumb: and sorry for taking so long to answer,load speed ect,but things are loading a bit quicker now,:thumb:

col

And i got myself some 11s but they didnt fit inside the neck of the knife because there was a wider bit at the bottom of the blade,silly mistake,i didnt think to check and thought them to be universal:oops:
  11. David H

David H Member

Blades

Hey Col,

I don't remember building that!

The real picture...

[​IMG]

The Jakar is sort of in the middle.

Sounds like you got some Swan and Morton No. 11s. They are the best for general work. A 10a is useful as too, but I keep chopping a mm or two off my fingers with them or doping them "in" my leg, or worst nicking the outside edge of my index finger with the long curved blade.

I once dropped one in my foot too! Ouch!

A Swan and Morton handle cost less than £5. I have had mine 23 odd years!

D
  12. col

col Member

Ah thats better,looks like you have most of what you need there:thumb:,any chance of a pic of the swan and morton handle please,and i still need a healing matt to cut on before i get started,i still havnt decided what to do firstwall1

col
  13. David H

David H Member

Col,

No. 3 handles are commonly available, try any hobby, craft or model shop. Same source for the cutting mat about £8. A hardware shop called Barnet's located in York supplies me with just about everything I need, Wilkinsons and the £1 shops also do us card modellers proud!

I also have a No. 5 which is a much longer and finer handle and the one I prefer. Afraid I pinched it from a dissection kit at school 23 years ago and have not seen one since. I am off to ebay land to see if I can get a new one now!

A quick browse of the web for a free model you like then Half an hour alone in the office with some card and the colour printer and your away. PVA glue from the shed will do to stick, but I am really taking to the UHU Extra, Gel, of late (£2-3) and some corn-flakes packets to reinforce...

Please note manufacturers of scalpels, adhesives and breakfast cereals and hardware retailers, I will endorse your products / store more if you send me free stuff!

D
  14. col

col Member

Thanks David,i have a wilkinsons and a pound shop in town,ill have a good look round,but im on some bad shifts for the next 7 days,so it will have to wait for now:cry:

col
  15. David H

David H Member

Hi again Col,

If you are pressed for time or opportunity for a Swan and Morton knife try Scalpels & Blades - Stockists and suppliers of Swann Morton Scalpel Blades, handles and accessories

Their Scalpel Blade Selection No. 3 has the blades ringed in the picture for £12 or so. 100 or so blades and a No 3 handle.
    [​IMG]
    I bought via ebay last Saturday and had them on the following Tuesday. Once you have found a blade you like buy them in bulk, its got to be better than the £0.60 you pay for 5 in the shops.

D
  16. col

col Member

Thanks for the help guys.:thumb:

col