I've started!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I finally had some time this weekend to begin work on my layout. First I had to cover the ceiling with plastic to keep out the grit that sifts down. Next I put in some 2x2's to which I am going to attach the backdrop material. I may use masonite, or something else - i'm not completely decided on this. I have another stud to add but ran out of screws, so then I decided to put up section A of the benchwork. There are four sections altogether but I'm going to be building them in stages so that i don't get sick of any one part. Here's how it looks so far.

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• part a.jpg
    part a.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 212

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Great Job!

A very nice piece of construction work, Val!
Looks like you're off to a great start!
Looking forward to following your progress!
I think your plan for building in sections is a great idea!
Have you seen the 2003 edition of MRR Planning? There's quite a few ideas in it pertaining to urban railroading.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Thats the way Val, now your going to have fun building that dream railroad.

Shamus
waver.gif

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks guys! It feels pretty good to have made a real start after months of planning. I'm a pretty slow worker when it comes to this kind of work because I always have to stop and think for half an hour for every half hour of actual work LOL!!!

BTW, thanks to the folks on the late night chat for steering me in the direction of a tungsten carbide drill bit. It eats right into the concrete block with no need to rent a hammer drill!

I hope to have further progress to show you this time next week.

cheers
:D Val

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Originally posted by spitfire
..... I'm a pretty slow worker when it comes to this kind of work because I always have to stop and think for half an hour for every half hour of actual work LOL!!!....

Hey Val,
My ratio is more like 3hrs stopping & thinking, for every 1/2 hr of work!
:D :rolleyes: :p :D

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by spitfire
I'm a pretty slow worker when it comes to this kind of work because I always have to stop and think for half an hour for every half hour of actual work LOL!!!

No prob., Val, we'll just expect you to work half as fast as Shamus! hehehe I'll be lucky to work 1/10 that fast myself. Lets see, I'll be conservative here, um, I gotta sit and thank fer 'bout an ower to do a cupla minutes a werk. Thangs werk slower at the knob.
gap.gif
gap.gif
gap.gif

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Sitting and thinking

I've been sitting and thinking about my layout for most of the last 8 years. I did most of the wiring in the last 3 months.
I'll be at the Toronto model RR show this weekend. Platelayers booth, making cardboard buildings (probably).

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Good to see the results of your efforts Val. I see you keep your work space clean during construction. My space always seems to be cluttered.. Now we are all waiting to see what you get done next.

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
YYYYAAAAYYYY VAL!!!

I don't know how I missed this thread..yes I do, I been researching ponds-spring is getting close!

Congrats Val..on getting that basement clean enough to get started building ;) !!! Looks like you have a great start. I'm sure you'll take lots of pics along the way!

I can relate to the thinking/working ratios..lol