I've got this steamer.....

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Russ Bellinis said:
I think MDC offers the correct truck for your tender with insulated wheel sets and brass pick ups. You would need to remove that mounting stud and drill and tap the tender frame for a #2-56 screw to mount the MDC trucks with. The other possibility for a conversion would be the Bowser (ex-Varney) 4-6-0 tender trucks. In any case, you are going to have to modify the tender floor for the truck mounting and power pick up.

Maybe not.:) Depending on the size of that existing mounting stud and the wiring arrangement inside the tender, the Bachmann trucks might work quite well. Besides the fact that the Bachmann wheels and axle wipers, plus all of the hardware are nickel-silver, the mounting hardware includes nuts, which have threads that may match those studs. Looking at the Bachmann sideframes (I have four of them, but I've used the wheels/wipers/etc. in Bachmann Andrews trucks) the hole in the centre of the bolster is quite large (I just went and measured it: it's .170", or just under 11/64") because the Bachmann tenders have a mounting boss on the underside of the tender floor. You'll probably need to make bushings to keep the trucks from wandering around on the mounting stud.

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Well, I've gotten quite a few suggestions. I'm going to try to fix the truck first (it's the cheap dutchman in me!) but if that fails I'll be replacing them.
Thanks for all your help, I'll try to keep you posted on how this turns out.