I've got SHINGLES!!!!!

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
hehe ok so don't start calling me Dave Letterman yet.... today I was bored so I decided to try and make my buildings a little better by changing the roof... here is how I did it......

I started with black acrylic and texturizing medium....

5.JPG

I spread it thinly over a plain sheet of white bond paper...

6.JPG

I then sanded the back side of the paper to make it thinner (after the paint dried :D )

After that I cut the material into thin strips...

8.JPG

After I had the strips cut I wanted to make the shingles real to life so I cut notches in the strips...

3.JPG

I then pasted them with elmers glue onto the building.. a slow process...
4s.JPG

I then drybrushed white to highlight wear and washed with black ink thinned with rubbing alcohol to bring out the individual shingles
7s.JPG

9s.JPG

the end product looks pretty cool :D

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
it was about a half hour cutting and laying 1 side. the actual prepping and making the "tar paper" was done earlier in the day... about 10 minutes total doing that part.

of course this was my first attempt and I am sure I can lower my time .... :)

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
All this talk about paper and card stock makes me think I'll revert to the old days and build some stuff that way again.

In my callow youth in the 40's and 50's that was the only construction material I could afford. I made my shingles the same way, but used water colors for the initial coloring and for the weathering. The initial coloring was sort of a dirty cedar color, and I swiped it on fairly streaky in the direction of the "grain" of the eventual shingles. Then more streaks on the finished roof.

By the way, drafting velum is pretty thin and may save you the sanding step.

Bill S

(When I was about 15 I proudly took a building I had made to a model rail club to show off. Several people there refused to believe that I had done all the work. I was really hurt at the time, but later figured out it was a compliment, even if not intended.)

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
I took the time to complete my shinglingand with the help of charlie I have "sided" it most of the way... I think it looks a bit better than it did before.. it has a bit left to be done before it is finished.... Sorry about the quality lost the cord to my digital cam... had to use the camcorder and grab some vid stills...
frny.JPG

here is the side... I added the gutters too
sideeee.JPG

roof1.JPG

and this is how it originally looked

sports5.JPG

the deck will be replaced (after the Faux Wood treatment) as well as the window scenes.... they will be improved...

sports1.JPG

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
VERY COOL!! Looks great!!

I read somewhere recently that it was rare to see the old asphalt siding on models, this technique could be used for that too!

Strthoky....Please tell this neophyte more about the 'texturing medium' you used. Is it some kind of sand suspended and some kind of glue?

Strthoky

Feb 7, 2003
South East Michigan
hometown.aol.com
texture meduim is kinda what you described... it is a grity material (sand maybe) suspended in an acrylic base.. you can find it at Michaels or any store with a decent acrylic paint selection... I bought a bunch of the "snow" for christmas village house last year and it was the same stuff just had a whiter base to it.. I used this stuff fo my shigles.. to create simulated brick texture... and for my realistic feeling ashphalt roads... :)

Blake

Jul 19, 2002
Northern New Jersey
www.BlakeDTatar.com
I've done that using permanent labels, this way you can just peel and stick them on. Also, you can just cut strips and make rolled tar paper roofing. Northeastern models made some dynamite shingles in HO & N scale. They are out of production now. In the Evergreen styrene book they show you how to do individual shingles. I tried it and they look incredible. Only problem was the time it took. I wanted to finish my roof before I hit 90 (I'm 39 now!!).