It's Monday, weekend modeling.

NYC-BKO

Jun 6, 2004
Scottdale, PA
Yes it's Monday again, what did we accomplish in our world of HO modeling.

I built the few cars I said I was going to plus did some detailing, I squashed the painting and decaling for now. I managed to go to the LHS and got some more cars, I originally set out for a Bachmann GP-35 they had, but after looking it over I decided the price was to high for what I would have to do to bring it up to todays standards. I did run trains and switched out the yard, too.:rolleyes::eek::thumb: Now I have something for next weekend.:wave:

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I got the Hudson apart and found it has been refitted with an original "Tan Can" motor from the early 80s. Do they even make those any more? I'm going to keep it straight DC, opting to spare the expense of a decoder to a later date. Still have to weather it and find some missing steps for the tender, the only damage to an otherwise flawless freebie. :thumb:

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I managed to get my workshop/study together. Brand new acrylic tile floors, sky blue walls, a new workbench and bookshelves. I'm feeling spoiled! Now that I've manged to empty out the rec room, the benchwork for the railroad can be built!

Chessie1973

Nov 22, 2003
Tacoma, Washinton
Visit site
Well I did a major cleanup of the layout table so I could actually see what I was modelling for a change.

I also glued down a few trees , I picked up a coupld of new Cars and my new Clinchfield 4-4-0. (I traded in my old Chessie Equipment for credit).

I am still trying to get IHC to actually respond to my email iquiries about parts for my SD-35 and a 4-6-2 we have here that need new parts.

I unfortunately wasnt careful enough while installing a couple of decoders and didn't get the light bulbs back in place correctly and they melted the shells on my CSX SD-35 and my CSX GP 38-2 so I am gong to have to contact walthers and IHC to see about getting new shells for them and perhaps add these two shells to my kitbashing supply box for later use.

But at least they are both running nicely on DCC now. I only have about a dozen more loco's to go to get them all converted to DCC now.

I have almost finished some models I've been working on for a few years. I got my NS GP38-2 (http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=104101&postcount=20) and my Southern GP38-2 (http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=104103&postcount=22) to about the same state. Both have had Cannon short hoods, horns, grabs, antennae, plows, trainline hoses, and as of this week, molded handrails added. Now all I have left is the underbody detail (air filters, speed recorder cables, sanding lines, and fuel tank details to add. Then, finally, weathering... the process never ends, does it!

The other thing I worked on was this model (http://www.the-gauge.com/showpost.php?p=104104&postcount=23), an ex-PC, ex-CR GP38-2 lettered for EMDX. I was pretty shocked when I discovered Athearn offers this as a factory-painted model, since I saw the same locomotive once before as part of a grain train I've been working on (seen here: http://www.geocities.com/norfolksouthernhinose/RCsCustomDiesels5.html and here: http://www.geocities.com/norfolksouthernhinose/Botno.html). This locomotive has plows on both ends, trainline hoses, custom CR style lollipop cut levers, grabs, lift rings, horn, antennae and Athearn's molded handrails (molded in white, the blue was painted Saturday). I weathered this model with oils. Once I get the underbody details added, then I'll shoot some grime on the frame and it will be finished!

It's been nice to have a productive weekend. For those of you who get to your models more than once a month don't know how good you have it! So, what's everyone else working on?

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I started scratch-building a brass frame and rebuilt a set of Athearn GE-B trucks for an old Bachmann U33B shell thats getting a make-over.
To many non-train related projects lately. (rewired the lights on the water hauling trailer and got the golf cart running).

atsfman

May 12, 2004
Kansas City,KS
home.kc.rr.com
Got a tower rebuilt for the garden railroad, cleaned up after a storm, worked on the HO layout, a scenery revision project, which I finished at 1 AM this morning while in the basement as severe storms rolled through the KC area.

Bob

sprink

Jun 8, 2004
Detroit Michigan
I fought the flu until today. Yesterday I went to my lhs and picked up "Saluna's Tavern" by Bar Mills. I am anxiously awaiting to start assembling it. I also bought some 1/8" square wood stock to make floors for my machine shop project. While shopping at the store, I couldn't help but notice some small brass cannons in the sailing ship model building section. I bought a couple of those as well. I'm gonna have to find some reason to have those on my layout. Jon, any ideas?

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi Sprink

Re: cannons. How about a "memorial park" or a town square?

Or on top of the tavern... ;) as the old curmudgon of an owner has gone a bit eccentric and is reliving his navy days aboard the HMS ... ? :D

Andrew

mykroft

Nov 15, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Well, I painted the 40' CN flat I'd done, then lettered it. Butchered the lettering though, I hate dry transfers, nevr can get them on straight.

Gave a triple-bay hopper a first coat of paint, and doubled the amount of ballasted track on my layout. Too bad I ran out of Rail Brown spray, or I would have done more track, I've finally got the hang of ballasting.