It's MONDAY 12-6-04, weekend modeling accomplishments!

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Oct 15, 2002
Drexel Hill, PA
www.trainweb.org
What a weekend! My daughter had here cheerleading competition on Saturday. We spent the entire morning and afternoon at the gym. In the end it was worth it. The Drexel Hill Raiders Midget Cheerleaders are the champions of the Midget Division. First time my daughter has been part of a championship. We also did a bunch of Christmas shopping. We stopped in Mitchell’s and I picked up some odds and end detail parts. I also got Woodland Scenics road building supplies. I know my wife got me a locomotive for Christmas. Not sure what it is but she told me that my son insisted that they try it out in the store before they bought it. The kids had their Christmas portraits done and they saw Santa.

No modeling. There wasn’t any time. I did help my son set up the Lionel trains under the tree, however.

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
I spent most of Saturday afternoon trying to wire up the layout (I'm starting to see what you guys like about DCC!) After I was halfway through (six hours) I found that I had more of a rat's nest than a wiring job so I riped it all out and started again. On Sunday I wired everything for the one cab, now I'm waiting for a friend to come over and help me with the soldering.
I want to get the wiring done quickly since it's my least favorite thing so I can get back to modeling.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
I spent my modelling time working on freight cars. I had several partly finished and 4 Athearn blue boxes to build and add metal wheels and Kadees, as well as 3 Intermountain RTR tank cars to weather. Bought some Bragdon's weathering powder to try out - and found that it's better than chalk in some ways - it's actually adhesive, which is cool. It works well on wheels (over a coat of paint) and great on the trucks, but for the tank cars I prefer my original method - it looks more like metal when finished. My original method is to use ground conté stick (rust colour) and dry brush all over the tank car. Then I added streaks with alcohol/india ink mix, which looked too contrast-y, so a final all over wash of the alcohol mix. Turned out great! Will post photos later.

Val

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
This weekend I did alot of work on my new layout. I started on some rock work on the mountian. Here is a picture of it.
r0kim002494.jpg

rockislandmike

Nov 6, 2001
Edmonton AB
dayfornight.qazam.com
Well we started painting the office on the weekend, so didn't get as much done as I'd like (which is all for the good anyways, as a lot of the office stuff is currently in the crew lounge).

I did find some time to continue work on the Bull Gap / Rim Rock Canyons of New Mexico, however. Still some more work to do (and need some more of that scenery cloth stuff whatever it's called), but it's coming together pretty good.

Doubletrack Bridges over the Canyons

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I managed to make room in the living room for the X-mas tree, but this required taking the N scale layout down temporarily.
I also did some ballasting in the HO yard.
I may have to replace some track in the yard that have fiber ties. They didn't react well to the ballasting process and warped.

billflis

Nov 27, 2004
trains1972 ---- interesting photo. is that all done piece by peice?? hard to tell from the photo. looks like it could be real rock done pc by pc, or is it a foam look alike or something to that effect?

i wish more guys posted photos so you could get ideas.

also, as far as HO scale goes, what is the largest incline you can get by with and not effect your system? is there any general rule to follow?

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Started klugeing together a new On30 loco.....lots of card stock mock ups, I like to design in three dimensions (or maybe that's "dementians"). I have to figure out how to apply power to the drivers, gear/belt/chain/rope?.........no, it couldn't be rope......,and then determine what form of articulation I'll use. Also, added some detail to an HO, steam era, Clinchfield caboose........to go with the Athearn Challenger.

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
I put the finishing touches on a couple of buildings (bashed and scratched) and took a few photos. Here's a link to a gallery of pics I took:

http://www.noisepimp.com/albums/Model-Railroad/

Here's the overall view. Since the last time I took photos I added a third yard track to the foreground yard, painted the Blue Diamond building (the brick and white one) and built the other four buildings.

aan.jpg

And yes, my garage is kind of a messy mayhem...

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
billflis said:
trains1972 ---- interesting photo. is that all done piece by peice?? hard to tell from the photo. looks like it could be real rock done pc by pc, or is it a foam look alike or something to that effect?
The way I did the mountian is by breaking ceiling tiles and putting them in pieces by piece cutting and shaping them to fit. It takes a long time to build but the look is worth it.
Here is a closer pictures
k6vim002489.jpg

o6zim002490.jpg

This picture was taken during the work on Saturday
g6mim002472.jpg