It's Done!!!

2-8-2

Some may remember my postings about my freelanced road, and the paint scheme woes I had. After many design changes, I sent a finalized design to SLA and they took on my project. A few more revisions later, I sent an undecorated GP-7 to them. Here is the result:

wngp72gk.jpg

I'm beyond thrilled with how great of a job they did! For those who don't already know, I'll also note that this is N scale. I should be receiving it within a few days, and I can't wait to see it! Just wanted to share my excitement!

steamhead

Wow!! Way to go..!!! Great looking loco. Though not a diesel man myself, I can appreciate a good looking train anytime. Congratulations!

Gus (LC&P).

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Great stuff! The fact that it is Nscale makes that scheme (and the execution) even more impressive - I had assumed HO when I first saw it... :thumb:

Andrew

doctorwayne

Looks great, 2-8-2, and to think that it was designed by a commitee! :D :D My monitor suffers from some technical problems, so what I see may not be a very accurate rendition of reality. However, it looks "right": very railroady, and not too modern for your chosen era. The colours, taking into consideration those technical glitches, remind me of a Reading scheme that I've always admired. Very nice.

Wayne

RailRon

This is a very sharp looking color scheme. Great job done both by designers :) and 'painter'! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

Ron

2-8-2

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

A few have mentioned colors...It's had to tell in the picture, but below the stripes is NYC Grey, the loco isn't all black. The other colors are based on Reading Green and Safety Yellow.

Green and yellow were chosen as a tribute to my late grandfather. Not only did he introduce me to model railroading, but he was also a farmer. I wanted something to remind me of the John Deere colors.

Russ Bellinis

I see the grey on the battery boxes below the cab. Is the main color of the car body dark green? That paint scheme looks great!!

Russ Bellinis

I just reread your post above mine a ways describing the colors. You said it wasn't all black, I thought I read that it wasn't black and I was trying to figure out what the main color was. It still looks awesome.

2-8-2

Today I received the engine, and words can't really describe how disappointed I am.

The pictures I was sent (one was included in the original post) didn't do the workmanship justice. From the photos, everything looks fine. Here are some issues:

First and foremost, the green/yellow striping is a decal, and not paint. Never in 40+ emails back and forth, and even a few phone calls with SLA was it mentioned that this stripe would be a decal. The price of $160 and mention of masking also lead me to believe it would be painted on, perhaps that was my mistake.

I wouldn't mind the decal so much if it wasn't such poor quality. It almost appears to be plain copier paper that has been glued on, as all detail underneath is lost. The green has a striped appearance, almost as if the printer was poor quality, or was running out of ink. The decal itself is not applied straight, and comes up short in a few spots. The W&N logo decal is way off center on the tail end as well.

The hand painting of the handrails and steps isn't up to par either. Weathering the loco may help hide some of this, but I expected a much better job over all for what I thought was a professional engine detailing service.

I'm beside myself. I'm angry and disappointed at the same time. Applying some Solvaset to the decal may help it adhere better to the details of the body, but that won't fix everything that is wrong. Any suggestions?

Russ Bellinis

I would send them an email with close up pictures and a description of everything you don't think is up to par, and give them an opportunity to make it right.

doctorwayne

Do as Russ suggests. $160.00 for a custom paint job seems pretty high to me. If that's the going rate, perhaps I'll get back into it. For that kind of money, you have a right to be upset, but give them a chance to make it right or refund all or at least part of your money. And weathering it to hide the problems is not a good idea: every time you look at it, all you'll be able to see is the things that are wrong with it now.

Wayne

Jules Winnfield

It Really is a shame.I think being very business-like in your e-mail would be the best approach.If they don't appear as though they are going to give you satisfaction...You can remind them that the pen is mightier than the sword. I think the mere threat of poor word of mouth on an international forum with such a huge membership such as this...would go a long way in convincing them to do right by you...can you say BUMP?