It's done! Water Tower

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who made suggestions for the spout of the water tower (see here for the other thread). I finished up last night!

Mostly constructed of "craft" materials. A ribbon spool and craft sticks make up the tank. The roof is cardboard, shingled with brown paper bag and trimmed with more thin cardboard. The finial is a copper nail.

The supports are MidWest "Fun Wood", which is like strip wood, but much cheaper. The ready cut sizes include scale 12x12 and 4x... whatever you cut it to. Comes in balsa and basswood.

Strapping around the tank is .040 styrene strips.

The spout is a paint brush handle that had the right taper. Sorry guys - just could not scratch a brass one - I'm not there yet... Thanks for your help though. The scale drawings were a great help.

The pulleys are scratched from KD coupler boxes and brass. The chain comes from a bead store.

Here's a couple of pictures...

Andrew

Attachments

• water tower 02 sm.jpg
    water tower 02 sm.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 908
  • water tower 02 sm.jpg
    water tower 02 sm.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 903

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Why would you want to do one in brass when you've done an outstanding job with what you used. Besides, isn't it easier and more realistic to make a wooden tower out of wood?:D :D :D :D

Top notch work......

Don

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
It's great to see how the tank turned out Andrew. Excellent modelling friend. We scratch builders use anything that looks right. The easier and cheaper methods really work. The spout looks very real. You say you got the chain at a bead store. Where abouts is it. I haven't seen anything like that around here.