It's called "Google", people!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
I think you’re just a cranky person with no love. :D

I can’t count how many times I have seen this subject on any forum. For the life of me I can’t figure out why you would read a post if your going to complain. It would be far easier to skip it then complain that it is a repeat. So yes I agree you’re cranky or bored. No offense meant.:wave:

Now I’m a people person and believe there is no stupid question and never have problems talking about the same thing to different people any time. Each time I talk to a different person on the same subject I learn new things and win some new friends,

Search is great for people that just like their information in a can. It is there and you can absorb it with no communication with another member. However I for one would never thing any less of a member who posted a repeat question of didn’t think to use goggle. Like I said I’m not a cranky anti-sociable person plus I like to BS.

[FONT=&quot]So for all the little people go ahead and post and I will do my best to answer even if it is a repeated post from the past. :thumb:

I find I get more in life by being nice and helping instead of making people feel they are doing something wrong. So just skip it or take the time to answer it.announce1
[/FONT]

Jim Krause

Have to agree with you squidbait. It seems that I've made the same comment or answer to the same question, multiple times. Yes, basic books or magazine articles are a good information source. I seldom get a response when I suggest a book or magazine article, even when its an article in a current magazine. Maybe its all about that "instant gratification thing" that has come into our lives.

You know the funniest part about this thread is: When using Google to search for relative terms to your query about model railroading, there will always be a link to the Gauge there:thumb:
So that means that at one time or another, the topic in which you were searching for has been discussed. That is what brings so many new members here on a constant basis. Many will browse through the thousands of topics and find lil tidbits of info and discover a good resource for their newly discovered or getting-reaquainted-with hobby:thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thoroughbreed said:
You know the funniest part about this thread is: When using Google to search for relative terms to your query about model railroading, there will always be a link to the Gauge there:thumb:

THAT IS THE FUNNIES THING, CAUSE GUESS WHAT, THAT IS HOW I FIRST FOUND THE GAUGEsign1 sign1

TruckLover said:
THAT IS THE FUNNIES THING, CAUSE GUESS WHAT, THAT IS HOW I FIRST FOUND THE GAUGEsign1 sign1
I imagine thats what brought 98% of the membership here. Many come here as guests "lurkers" and become members after reading through the topics and liking the family oriented attitudes here:thumb:

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thoroughbreed said:
I imagine thats what brought 98% of the membership here. Many come here as guests "lurkers" and become members after reading through the topics and liking the family oriented attitudes here:thumb:

Yup, well said :thumb: :thumb:

I was completly new and so when I need to know something i sometimes search, often I dont because it doesnt answer my question 99% of the time. I am very picky when it comes to being specific. I need to know everything. Some people are too vague so I like to provide pictures of my problem or question and ask specifically as possible.

Gary S.

Okay, for the few of you noobs and otherwise who have stated that you are abandoning The Gauge, please reconsider. The people who have answered your questions before, did they complain? Personally I would prefer that you stay and ask questions. That way, I get the benefit of the answers too.

One thought though... anyone who is sincerely interested in model railroading should also be interested in the model railroad literature. I know I was and am. Before i began asking questions here, I did a lot of reading to discover what aspects of the hobby were attractive to me, and what the current state of the industry was. Then I was in a position to ask intelligent questions (at least I hope so).

That may be part of the issue. When a person seems sincerely interested in the hobby, people on the Gauge will jump over backwards to lend a hand. But when someone asks "I want a 4x8 HO scale layout and want to run trains that are around 100 cars in length. Can someone design a layout for me?" well, I know it makes me wonder really just how interested this person is, because obviously they have not even given any thought at all to the subject.

railohio

Thoroughbreed said:

That's funny because whenever I use Google to look something up I very rarely see a link back to The Gauge. I did a couple random searches this morning for various railroad and model railroad topics and The Gauge didn't come back in the first three pages of results in any of them. Maybe The Gauge was listed on the fourth page of them all. Maybe I just picked the wrong topics to search; I'm not a n00b so I'm' not sure what they're all not finding on there. It wasn't very scientific, but I did find pages on all the selected topics from various sources.

(Searches: model railroad ballast; EZ track; model railroad photography; DCC decoder; Kadee couplers; Atlas GP38; model railroad benchwork; foam scenery)

i look at it real simple like,,, and im sure im going to upset some people too, but i hardley post anyway, I have been told my steam engine looks out of place with my diesels on the track, but you think that looks bad, it looks really out of place having a steam engine in the house to start with, and I'm just now getting used to the diesel smell, The way i see it. to me it is a hobby, not real life, I have a real job where little things matter or it will get you killed, dont need a hobby like that.(but I can respect the people that do because you are the ones I learn the most from) but to me it is just fun and a way to relax from everyday life.

Anyway, I figure if you dont like the topic question, just go to another topic question,, just like a show on tv, change the channel,,, I have seen the same question asked over and over and have usually seen a few different answers to them and still come away feeling a little smarter,,, man, at my age when you can feel a little smarter you better go for it. Maybe one of these days I will learn to type and where to put in punctuation(and spell) but I hope no one is holding their breath on that one. In the meantime I have been having a lot of fun reliving my childhood and blowing all that hard earned cash on little trains that sound like big trains. after all that I sure hope I can stay around and play a little longer,,, ,,, ,,,,, ,,,, ,,,, ,,, st

brakie

Why me said:
This is not the place for newbies so I gather. I'll ask my stupid questions somewhere else
Dont feel like that your given into the minority of users most will reply and give you very good info and help i throw my toys out of the pram as my illness limits me to asking question my grammar spelling is --ap as you can clearly see but with the help of thease guys im a better modeller PLUS I HAVE FUN RUNNING TRAINS.Mike

Mike,I can assure you ALL questions are welcome regardless how some may irk me..I still answer them..:D
As far as grammar this isn't English 101.Do your best.As far as spelling for those of us that can't spell and type at the same time we have a ABC with a check in the upper right hand corner of the reply box..That's spell check..

RobertInOntario

Sure, it's good to find out things via Google. I think you can do both, i.e. ask questions here AND Google. Sometimes folks might not have time to spend Googling, and it's simply faster to ask a bunch of people who already have info. It's fun and interesting to get the responses as well.

It's probably best to rely on Google when the question is very basic or a "hard fact" that could easily be found out. An example might be: "What does LMS stand for?" Answer: "London, Midland & Scottish Railway". But other questions are less simple with many differing opinions, i.e., "What method of ballasting to you recommend?"

At any rate, this is a rule of thumb that I'm trying to follow!

Cheers, Rob

bob_suruncle

Jim Krause said:
Have to agree with you squidbait. It seems that I've made the same comment or answer to the same question, multiple times. Yes, basic books or magazine articles are a good information source. I seldom get a response when I suggest a book or magazine article, even when its an article in a current magazine. Maybe its all about that "instant gratification thing" that has come into our lives.
Jim: exactly. many (not all) want instant gratification and they want it online...heaven forbide they actually get up and walk away from the computer to open a book or worse yet actually take a road trip to the local library or even more outlandish a trip to their road of choice or a local museum or historical society. Many just give up because they cant get exactly what they want on their computer screen. I wonder how many search for ready to build layout plans instead of reading up on model railroad planning and realistic operation lots of info here, on other sites, in books, in MR, etc... but they want a ready made plan with a bill of materials and if possible someone to build it for them. Look in MR or do a google search for custom layout building services... 20 years ago you didnt see many...40 years ago it was virtually unheard of. Research can sometimes be tedious but if you are truly into this or any other hobby you will find more gratification when you do it or find it yourself.... those rare gems that you dig up on your own are the most valuable of all.

ezdays

Out AZ way
This thread has been going along nicely with both sides of the issue presenting their cases. As with most threads like this, no one is able to convince the others as to why they think like they do, and so we have what we call the "status quo", or, nothing changes. If someone wants to ask an simple question regardless of the reasons why, we will continue to let them, and someone will want to continue to answer them for whatever reason that may be. Others may think it's dumb, repetitive, lazy or what, but as I said before, there are those that are somewhat challenged in both ability and language and really can't get the answers they need any other way, and there are others that really don't mind helping. Bless them all for their interest and willingness to help, for they may be helping a lot of others that are afraid to ask but hang around sopping up whatever they can from what is said here. For those that don't agree, they have choices too, but this forum wouldn't be what it is if we didn't welcome everyone and we didn't try to help everyone that needs it.

As with some threads like this, it has taken a turn for the worse. This is not a schoolyard where we have to resort to name-calling and degrading comments just to get a point across. I am hoping this thread goes back to being a reasonable discussion on the subject at hand. If it continues to go in a southerly direction, we will not let it continue.

RobertInOntario

I read parts of this thread last night and have been keeping my eye on it today. Personally, I don't see how it is an either/or situation, and don't get all the hard feelings it's generating. Why can't we use both (web and this forum)? I don't think it matters if a few people ask basic questions -- at least they might start a discussion and increase use of this forum.

Several times, I've heard the host of a radio talk show say: "The only stupid question is the one you don't ask"! I think this should apply to this hobby especially when you're starting out as it can be quite confusing. When I re-started into this hobby, I know I asked lots of stupid questions of fellow modellers and I probably still do!

Rob

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
railohio said:
How do you know you don't like it until you do read it? :rolleyes:

Three fourths of these so-called "nuisance" posts could be eliminated if n00bs would invest in some basic model railroading books when they pick up their first train sets. I just don't understand why people refuse to spend just $50 on books when they're in a hobby that generally costs hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars a year. It's hilarious to see people want a reply to their queries to come from a book but you're just the devil incarnate if you expect them to spend money on the book themselves. :curse:

Well, Time for the "Admin" to weigh in... Look to the left and you'll see that I've been here way too long :D I'm not going to single anyone out, except to mention, that in 84 when I started in this hobby, I barely had enough money to buy the trains and tracks let alone books..... I have a mortgage now - -( I still have no money for books :) I learn everything I need to know... "here"!!!)

As far as asking questions, in '84 there was no internet.. so My LHS was the single source for information for a few months.... Until I was able to buy books.

Now, any of you worth your weight in gold :D should read a book on electrical work... Switches, recepticals etc... and then try to replace one.... or 4 -5... You will soon find out that "Book Smart" has little comparison to "Street Smart" Experience... Same goes for pipefitting, and other things......... like ballast spreading... No single book has all the information you can garner with a Google search.... and/or asking a specific question.. hence The Gauge...

Those of us that have been here a while... Catt, Brakie, Spitfire, Ralph...etc... have and will continue to answer any and all questions that we seem fit to do... why??? Because it's our experience, that shows that, we could help someone not make a mistake we already made...therefore, they will enjoy the hobby a bit more....

Granted - experience is the best teacher.. "Found information" that you toiled and searched for is "sweeter" but sometimes you just can't find the right "Keyword" in ask.com or Google or here in our search engine. :( :( :(

Sometimes it's just easier to ask........

jambo101

The nature of forums is repetition as in the older members giving advice to the newer members,if everything was pre checked at Google etc. first then this forum would probably become irrelevent as most of what is being asked can be found on Google. ,sure you can get the cold hard facts from Google but there is no one giving their opinion or $0.02. there is no sense of community.Every one probably has a pet peeve about forum usage,whether it be the spelling police,the users who just post smilies or the post whore who spends most of his time posting 50 or more times a day about just about anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.