It's A Good Thing My Wife Loves Me

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Just put in my order to Wholesale Trains for my track and supplies for the new layout design.

Yikes! :eek:

Attached Files:

2. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

That's nuthin' I just spent more than that sunday over the phone at trainworld! :rolleyes:
  3. Cannonball

Yeah but that's on top of the other $300 or so I've sent on eBay in the last month.
  4. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

WOAH!!! :eek: You beat most of us there!! :) Wow, that's alot of O gauge! you have to BE a king to OWN the king of scales! sign1 ;)

Cool stuff.
  5. Cannonball

Actully, I'm reselling a lot of stuff I bought at first. Since I decided to go with Norfolk & Western, I'm getting rid of the ATSF/BN stuff I bought. I'm down to the last two pieces of rolling stock from my original buying splurge. However, I think I might keep those since the coal tender for my first steamer is ATSF and it needs rolling stock too. :D
  6. simmonds

simmonds Member

Cannonball great job! See you squeaked in some bumpers, yard lights and a flood tower. You do know now that since your b-day is comming you wont be expecting anything else for a while now. :cry:

Congrats though. When are you gonna get started??? Are you going to use anything for roadbed? Which track plan are you using?
  7. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

So are we going to have an expansion to the raised carpet layout or a total track replacement? Another addition would really prove how much the wife loves you. :)
  8. Cannonball

I'll get started when the track gets here. :D Total layout replacement.
    Gonna use the track plan based off this dealer model shown below.

Attached Files:

9. Cannonball

No this is going to be a track replacement.
    My wife loves me a lot but there's no room left in the house for further expansion.
    At least not until my daughter grows up and moves out. Then I'll have a whole room.
    I'm in no hurry for her to do that though. ;)
  10. simmonds

simmonds Member

Great layout :thumb: Make sure and take lots of pics and post them here as you go along. I cant wait to see some video of trains running around that layout. Have fun :) Chris
  11. Cannonball

Speaking of video, I got a bonus!
    My wife ordered me a JVC mini digital camcorder for my birthday!
    I love that woman. :)

Attached Files:

12. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

OK what or how do you put videos on YOU TUBE? I need to know how to do it from the video to the PC to You Tube.
  13. Cannonball

For most of my YouTube stuff, I have a digital camera that does short little 30 second clips. Not real high quality. Those I can feed directly to the computer and upload to YouTube. For any editing or adding effects I do, I use Nero. You can also pick up webcams and video capture hardware fairly cheaply. Keep in mind that unless you have a director's subscription to YouTube, the max your videos can be is 100MB.

If you're going from VHS to Computer and then on to the web, then you need something like Dazzle to capture the video and convert it to digital format. I use that and Nero for any old VHS stuff I want to convert to DVD as well.
  14. Geno

Geno Member

Glad to hear your wife supports your love of the hobby- mine initially was a bit opposed to it, but she realized my love of trains is a lifelong one and wouldn't end with our marriage. And you know any woman who would let you build a 20' x 21' layout inside the house is a woman who deserves all the love and attention you can give her.

I'm surprised your wife didn't get mad when you told her you're building a whole new layout. Did you tell her practice makes perfect?:D

Lionel 027 track is still the best value out there- the new track I'm buying for my layout (Atlas 2-rail) is probably some of the spendiest stuff on the market, and it's not even RTR for me (still have to add the stud rail in the center so I can use it for 3-rail). I need about a little under 400' of track for just the lower level and about 14 switches and untertable motors- easily well over $1000 at this point. Fortunately I have been buying track for almost a year so my expenses are really only for swtiches.

Geno
  15. Cannonball

My wife would gladly let me build a 20 x 21 if we had a large enough space for it. Someday I will get my garage cleaned up and put in some climate control. Then it's going to be no holds barred for that layout.

And she didn't get mad at me over the new layout because she knows all of my track is 30+ years old and in pretty sad shape. (Some of that my dad picked up at yard sales and such it is probably pushing 50 by now) It's time for shiney new track for all these new trains to run on. :D

And if your using 400 ft of track I really can't wait to see this layout!
  16. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    I'm lucky to have the room to build the layout, but there still is over 200 sq. ft. of useable space in the room. I didn't want to make the room unusable because of the layout, and with the L-shape there is still room for a sofa, loveseat and recliner.

I'm almost done with the lower level benchwork but my biggest issue now is finding a fabrication shop that can even make the studrail I need to get my layout operational. If I knew I would be having such a hard time getting this simple piece of metal strip made up I would have just bought 3-rail Atlas track and be halfway done laying track. Unfortunately I have far too much Atlas 2-rail to back out now- shows you what happens when you get too ambitious.

The actual track required on my lower level is somewhere around 390', and that's due to the fact that my lower level is basically a yard with a double track main around it. I fgure the upper level should only be around 200', maybe less. But my project is at a standstill until I can get this studrail made up.

Geno
  17. Cannonball

I'm not familiar with having stud rails made for 2 rail track but couldn't you just use some thick wire or something for that 3rd rail current? I'm suprized there isn't something out there that could make this a fairly easy operation.
  18. Geno

Geno Member

I could run a wire in the middle of the track, or put a power strip under the roadbed and put brads down, but that would negate the whole purpose of running the 2-rail track to begin with. The stud sticks up between the ties, and when you put ballast over the roadbed it almost makes the stud invisible. Marklin has this same type of setup for HO, but the studs are located on the ties so you see them.

[​IMG]

As you can see, the result is 2-rail track that 3-rail trains can run on (with slider shoes placed over the rollers).

Geno
  19. Cannonball

ah!
    That picture helped a lot. :thumb:

I wouldn't think something like that would be that hard to make if you had the means to do it. Tell your fabircators to get on the ball!
  20. Geno

Geno Member

Cannonball,
    The funny thing about trying to get the stud rail made is that most machinists tell me I need a fabricator to make it. And I thought that metal stamping is under fabricating, but according to them (metal stampers) it technically it's not- huh? I guess it's like asking a finish carpenter to frame your house- some can, some can't, and the rest tell you stories.

Have you demo'd your old layout yet?

Geno