Israeli A4N beta build from papermodels.co.il

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next step was the engine air intakes. Shown here finished L and parts right. They are sort of d semicircles one fitted into the other. The fit was perfect!

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The pair of them ready for installation. I left the fairings that sit next to the fuselage off. My experience with these parts are sometimes they need to be trimmed to allow the intakes to lay flush with the fuselage segment they join to...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next assembly is the ducts that lead to the engine fan. It is a very cool feature but like alot of Halinski details they may never really be seen once done! The ducts fit into the d shaped cutouts on the fwd former, They must sit exactly flush with the ends or they will protrude into the previous intake pieces...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next parts to be built up is the next fuselage section, parts shown here...

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I thought of how to build up this section as a unit and glued it up as shown, The curved horizontal piece will act as a joining area for the wing assembly later. moshe had pointed out that the lower sections below the horizontal trapeze will have to be removed to fit the wing in the recess. The reason is possibly we made the section the same way, as a unit. I'm sure Dr.Z probably had them spread out a tad further apart and the sections didn't have to be removed. Oh well Moshe great minds and all that...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here is the section with the fuselage skin on it...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A frontal view showing the interior of the ducts. You can just make up the air intake fan...

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Last view of the part and closeing for tonight, more on the 'morrow!

Attached Files:

9. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Looking good Ted! I've been waiting on this just as much as everyone else. Now if Moshe would finish the Bi-Centennial F-15 it would be perfect!

I was wonder what had the Good Doctor busy.............. so far from the look I think he has out-done himself this time!

Thanks to you for doing the Beta Build, Moshe for getting this done, and Emil for what looks to be a wonderful design!

john
  10. josve

josve Active Member

You sure are a fast one Ted!!
    Nice and precise work all the way as usual!
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

A small bit of progress tonight, or as Rick said once, tonight's lame offering! I started working on the next fuselage section, and the airbrakes and little doodads shown here. The airbrakes go on the next section aft but were in the way of the parts I needed so I just built them up. I usually lose loose parts if they are left as little "scraps" of card not built up!

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The little parts with the dots I think are countermeasure dispensors, chaff and flares and such. Anyways the next section has a transitional fold shown on the left. You need to score it and stop at the end of the line as shown. This fits in neat with the previous segment and allows the wing to be built up around it. The 2 openings are for the countermeasure thingys, shown installed way down in the center pic... And the right shows what we get to see on the outside...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the segment fitted to the previous. The instructions don't have the after parts mounted to the forward assembly yet, so I'm resisting going ahead!

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

So far the fit on this "beta" is fantastic. The colors and artwork all match up so far. The fit on this is probably the downloadable equivalent of a Halinski!
    But,to be objective, some parts could be a tiny bit more detailed for the advanced crowd.
    Moshe advised to remove 2 lower bulkhead segments in the intake section as the wing won't fit in as those particular parts came. I can see the wisdom in this as those lower segments had a small gap between them and the fwd and after segments. I didn't take a before pic but the above shows the after, sorry guys, this is the night after the big spring shakedown bicycle ride, only 15 miles, but up and down hills and it has been an entire 4 1/2 months!
  15. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

A4N flare dispenser pods

Hi Cmdretd and all,
    It is a great pleasure for me to see how the things that existed only in my mind till now, started to appear as a real model...
    I found some two errors in the beta building till now.
    The first one concerns the flare dispenser pods. They should be mounted outside, but not inside of the fuselage. You can easily cover this mistake by building new ones and glue them on their places.
    The other mistake concerns the bottom nose cowling. The theoretical shapes of the cutouts are OK, but their building is very sensitive to mistakes. The surfaces like this need precise forming and testing of their fit to the place during complete drying of the glue. Please note that if you’ll not check the subassembly at every stage, the probability to receive gaps during placing the back bone cowling of the fuselage is increased.
    Please note that I redesigned entirely the external armament of the kit. I’ll send the new MER/TERs with bombs to Moshe ASAP. Now you can see them as a wireframe illustration.
    Best regards,
    Emil Zarkov

Attached Files:

16. Clashster

Clashster Member

Looking awesome so far! Nice clean build... I have several of Dr. Zarkov's models and I am always impressed... I had started one several years ago, but I never finished.... I think my brain believed I was much more advanced at card modeling then my hands were.... But I will have a go some time soon!
    Thanks for the great thread!

Chris
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Dr. Zarkov, thankyou very much for the feedback. I'll get onto the countermeasure pods right away. You've designed some excellant kits and provide some of the best instructions and diagrams. Keep it up sir, I have most of your aircraft kits. Thanks again! Maybe the time is right for an Israeli F4E?
  18. thewoodengraver

thewoodengraver Active Member

I build toys. So, you can imagine,
    I actually need an EMT by my side just to view this thread! LOL

I am very impressed Ted! You make it look sooo good!
    Well...it IS good!
  19. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Hi Ted, Emil and all,

It's very easy for me after many years of sleeping with this aircraft to forget, that most people are not familair with the A-4 as I am, that's why I partialy built this kit without even looking at the instructions, and did not tell you Ted, anything about the correct direction of the flares dispencers.
    Actualy :roll: I did not get to this stage of the assembly yet, I'm very very slow with the building of this kit :(

Answering your question Ted, I have one picture that shows the air breaks housing in brown, as it is in the kit, but this is a picture of a TA-4. I do not remember where I put all the other pictures, and as far as I remember, it can be either red or brown.

Very nice building, Ted. I also like the canopy, and in some circles, it would also be considered a card... a rather thick plastik card. So if someone asks, I always can say it's a card :)

Moshe
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Ooohh! Israeli F-4.................:yep: I want one!