Israeli A4N beta build from papermodels.co.il

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Rick, I'm not sure what TopGun uses anymore. Anyhows on to the after parts of the fuselage... The next section is that directly behind the cockpit, There is a small internal former up at the top where the cockpit aft meets this one. It is wider to allow the canopy to bulge out when in the lowered postion. If you are going to build it canopy raised, the former with that segment has a norrower top profile I guess to allow the canopy to clear aft and not bulge in the wrong places. The very rearmost bulkhead is mounted flush as I think this will be butt glued to the after engine section of the fuselage later...

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here's an underside view of the assembly...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next on the list is an underchin bulge. I think this houses some fwd sensor avionics. It is a neet little assembly but I think the tiny slim formers can probably be dispensed with when mounted...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here it is installed...

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Another view witha more pronounced view of the part. It hardly seems worth it from a couple angles but it really does capture the updated bulges and sensors that this model was adorned with...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some canopy magic!

The next step is one that sometimes causes angst among bubble canopy builders, the bubble canopy. Chris has set up the full tutorial on this but here are a few in progress pics for this bird... The 1st is the form to make the sculpey mold, alll seams on the outside...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The mold, polished and 3 pieces vacuformed incase I inevitably screw one up!

Attached Files:

8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Dry/rough fitted and ready for frames, more later, "the other" is returning from her shopping "chore"? Have to make sure all traces have been cleared from the kitchen, more later!

Attached Files:

9. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

what a great work
    (and model lol)

i have the modelart f15c buty never got the gots to start it lol
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

Impressive Model & Build

Ted,

Thanks for being the test builder. Heineman's Hotrod is another of my favorite aircraft and it appears Moshe will have a very nice addition to his offering with this one. I am really enjoying your documentation of the build.

Best regards,

-Gil
  11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Gil and Yaniv, thanks, this is one of my favorites also. Here's a pic showing the glass all framed up with the bottom pic showing the rear view mirrors...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And installed on the aircraft. There are 2 small pieces that go on front of the windscreen, not sure what they are but the bottom piece was a bugger to fold up correctly being only 1/2mm wide!

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Front/head on view...

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Port view finished, SFFMM has detected some small anomalies on the fwd windscreen, I did touch it up with some paint, blends in ok...

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

End sequence of the port view pulled back. Now onto the airintakes...

Attached Files:

16. Gil

Gil Active Member

Slick, just plain slick...,

-Gil

P.S. Small pieces are rear view mirrors if I'm not mistaken...,
  17. Plastic Bonsai

Plastic Bonsai Member

This model looks fantastic and the canopy is amazing to me. Something I never tried in the other stuff but you guys seem sto knock them off quite easily. I'll have to find that thread.

The Scooter is one of my favourites too. It is off the curve as Heinemann was relentless in the pursuit of low weight and it paid off handsomely. I think the A-4 is now retired from US service. One of the best scenes in Top Gun was where an A-4 was rolling 3-4 times in front of an F-14 that just couldn't match it.

I am very interested in how the intakes go together on this model. Oh and what scale is it? 1/33?
  18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Plastic Bonsai, the scale is 1/32, close enough to blend witht the 1/33 collection. In the search bar up top punch up vacuforming there should be a bunch of reference threads. The box is so simple to make it boggles the mind. The hardest part is the plastic holding device to allow the plastic to be heated and not pull off the holder. I used 2 masonite clipboards and other than a scorching here and there they are still going strong. Some sculpey for the molds, a stove, shop vac and you have a complete kit. Bar ing the stove it is somewhat portable!
  19. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Dang Ted, you are setting some kind of blistering pace here again!

It's a sharp looking model too!

Rick
  20. 46rob

46rob Member

the little bit at the front of the windscreen that gave you problems was a duct that blew bleed air from the engine over the windscreen for rain removal. Earlier versions had a widshield wiper. The A-4N was a reworked, upgraded version of the A-4E. I remember getting a bunch of them ready for export when I was TAD to VA-125 in Lemoore Ca. A lot hadn't been flown in months, and were missing parts that were previously impossible to obtain. The parts just miraculously appeared overnight, and the deadlines were incredibly short to get them flying again....and then they were gone.