Israeli A4N beta build from papermodels.co.il

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wow! I thought I had these buggers down. It doesn't look aweful, I thought I was lining them up ok. I usually misbuild things and get a little twist in my other kits so I didn't think anything of it, sorry Emil, and Moshe. Anyways, to continue I finished up the low speed manuevering slats. From my understanding these are kind of spring loaded and are always deployed down when on the ground. I guess the increase in airspeed causes them to retract up into its recess. They increase the manueverability when a dogfight with guns gets "low and slow", allowing tighter moves without stalling. One account of this type of dogfighting says its like a knifefight in a phonebooth. Anyways similies aside here are the flaps being built up. They are not simply a doubled over part, you have to round up the leading edge, crease the underneath part and but glue the length at the back, and therre is a tiny little former at the thick end to help keep its shape. When it's all shaped up you need to put 2 tiny airfences on the leading edge. And yes I squished the tip of the 1st one a little, the part had me a little frazzeled when I built it in card, so I printed them on thinner type bond 22lb paper and went together fine. There are a little fragile with this paper but look a lot better. Not a design flaw, just a builder's preference!
  2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here they are installed, topside view...
  3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here they are installed, topside view...
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Underside view... Next up will be the tail stabilizer sections, hopefully tonight after Work!
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Underside view... Next up will be the tail stabilizer sections, hopefully tonight after Work!
  6. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Ted, I didn't get it :? . The leading edge wing slats are controled by the air pressure. On the ground they are down, while in the air they get pushed up, and when the angel of attack of theaircraft goes above 4 degrees, they are extended to compensate for the loss of the force (I forgot how it's called in English), that keeps the aircraft in the air. Also,
    I meant to tell you to use a thinner paper for the slats. 1950's cpu :(

Moshe
  7. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Ted, I didn't get it :? . The leading edge wing slats are controled by the air pressure. On the ground they are down, while in the air they get pushed up, and when the angel of attack of theaircraft goes above 4 degrees, they are extended to compensate for the loss of the force (I forgot how it's called in English), that keeps the aircraft in the air. Also,
    I meant to tell you to use a thinner paper for the slats. 1950's cpu :(

Moshe
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I was apologizing for the misalignment of the gun fairings. I build kits with misalignments usually by me all the time. I thought it was just me slightly twisting the part to conform. About the slats, I only was guessing about the actual way they functioned, I knew that most of the earliest slats were passive and deployed with change of angle of attack and airspeed etc. For all I know the modern ones work the same way.
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

I was apologizing for the misalignment of the gun fairings. I build kits with misalignments usually by me all the time. I thought it was just me slightly twisting the part to conform. About the slats, I only was guessing about the actual way they functioned, I knew that most of the earliest slats were passive and deployed with change of angle of attack and airspeed etc. For all I know the modern ones work the same way.
  10. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

The slats aren't spring loaded. When sitting on the ground gravity pulls them down. Part of our pre-flight walkaround was to check to make sure the slats moved up freely. If we were going up for air combat training, then once in the training airspace we would do a series of turns pulling the plane to almost stalling to make sure that the slats came out as required.

That's part of the A-4's beauty. It uses such simple systems. No complex stuff to worry about failing all the time.

Regards,
    Todd
  11. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

The slats aren't spring loaded. When sitting on the ground gravity pulls them down. Part of our pre-flight walkaround was to check to make sure the slats moved up freely. If we were going up for air combat training, then once in the training airspace we would do a series of turns pulling the plane to almost stalling to make sure that the slats came out as required.

That's part of the A-4's beauty. It uses such simple systems. No complex stuff to worry about failing all the time.

Regards,
    Todd
  12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hey man, I just build 'em I don't know what makes 'em go,, woof woof woof!
  13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Hey man, I just build 'em I don't know what makes 'em go,, woof woof woof!
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Oddball, Kelley's Heros?
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Oddball, Kelley's Heros?
  16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You got it. "What's worth more than 1.6 million in gold? Come around tonight man and I'll show you!" I always wondered what it was, never mentioned in the movie!
  17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You got it. "What's worth more than 1.6 million in gold? Come around tonight man and I'll show you!" I always wondered what it was, never mentioned in the movie!
  18. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Ahhh.... that's a great movie :)
  19. Prowler901

Prowler901 Member

Ahhh.... that's a great movie :)
  20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

They even got the grave diggers with them!