Israeli A4N beta build from papermodels.co.il

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

On the left rear wheel well fairing is some sort of light or camera or something, Moshe help me here! It is kind of neat, has a clear section to view the equipment underneath. All these parts fit with no problem...
  2. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Ted,

This is a camera panel. It doesn't appear on any 3D drawings, and I didn't have pictures of it. So, about two years ago, i went to the Israeli air force museum, hoping that there I'll find it. They have there many aircraft in very poor condition :-( among them where 10 A-4N and only the last one had this panel, and I took several pictures of it.

Two comments about the kit. One of the ailerons should be set in the opposite direction (up or down). The flaps can be down as far as the rear ends of the external fuel tanks allow it and you might need to lift the flaps a little. Other than that, it's getting closer and closer to look like the real thing :grin:

If you have a magnifying glass, you could see my finger prints that I left everywhere on the real thing :)

Moshe
  3. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

Ted,

This is a camera panel. It doesn't appear on any 3D drawings, and I didn't have pictures of it. So, about two years ago, i went to the Israeli air force museum, hoping that there I'll find it. They have there many aircraft in very poor condition :-( among them where 10 A-4N and only the last one had this panel, and I took several pictures of it.

Two comments about the kit. One of the ailerons should be set in the opposite direction (up or down). The flaps can be down as far as the rear ends of the external fuel tanks allow it and you might need to lift the flaps a little. Other than that, it's getting closer and closer to look like the real thing :grin:

If you have a magnifying glass, you could see my finger prints that I left everywhere on the real thing :)

Moshe
  4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some teeth!

Moshe thanks for the info update. I scoured the internet looking to see what that part was and came up blank! The next set of little but essential details were the twin 30mm cannons. The original Skyhawks came with 20mms but the IAF upgunned them to 30mm. Subsequently the had to hand in semi-pod/faired in mounts. Here are the basic parts in pic#1. Pic #2 shows the key to this part, the former for the pod base. You must grind a taper so the pod just wraps around the part. There are 2 guidelines that line up with the exterior detail and allow the correct curve and bends to the piece. Do Not let it protrude beyound the pods edge or it will not sit flush on the wing. Also in #2 is the barrel and forward piece preformed and glued. #3 Shows the opd wrapped around the baseplate and the fwd front former fitted in.
  5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Some teeth!

Moshe thanks for the info update. I scoured the internet looking to see what that part was and came up blank! The next set of little but essential details were the twin 30mm cannons. The original Skyhawks came with 20mms but the IAF upgunned them to 30mm. Subsequently the had to hand in semi-pod/faired in mounts. Here are the basic parts in pic#1. Pic #2 shows the key to this part, the former for the pod base. You must grind a taper so the pod just wraps around the part. There are 2 guidelines that line up with the exterior detail and allow the correct curve and bends to the piece. Do Not let it protrude beyound the pods edge or it will not sit flush on the wing. Also in #2 is the barrel and forward piece preformed and glued. #3 Shows the opd wrapped around the baseplate and the fwd front former fitted in.
  6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

After all is tweaked and trimmed the guns should look like this...
  7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

After all is tweaked and trimmed the guns should look like this...
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And here arethem bad boys are installed to the fwd wings...
  9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And here arethem bad boys are installed to the fwd wings...
  10. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Cmdrted:

Extremely righteous build!! I swear, you folks will get me out of the mud and airborne yet!!
    Regards from Canada!
    Jim
  11. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Cmdrted:

Extremely righteous build!! I swear, you folks will get me out of the mud and airborne yet!!
    Regards from Canada!
    Jim
  12. Clashster

Clashster Member

Awesome build, Ted!

Jim: Say it ain't so! First they got Johnny, now you!!!! :rofl:

Chris
  13. Clashster

Clashster Member

Awesome build, Ted!

Jim: Say it ain't so! First they got Johnny, now you!!!! :rofl:

Chris
  14. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Emil......... you have outdone yourself again!

Moshe....... go ahead and mark me down for a sale! Moshe can you get a picture of the tarmac that these normally sit on. No Top Secret stuff, just what shape the concrete is poured in, how they join, and maybe a picture of the normal stains patterns and stuff. Ted if I can get a picture, I'll do up a base for this to set on. My IAF books I have don't show a good enough picture of tarmac.

Ted.......... OMG!

Carl.......... Have a safe trip!

Me........... waiting un-patiently for this release:grin:
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Emil......... you have outdone yourself again!

Moshe....... go ahead and mark me down for a sale! Moshe can you get a picture of the tarmac that these normally sit on. No Top Secret stuff, just what shape the concrete is poured in, how they join, and maybe a picture of the normal stains patterns and stuff. Ted if I can get a picture, I'll do up a base for this to set on. My IAF books I have don't show a good enough picture of tarmac.

Ted.......... OMG!

Carl.......... Have a safe trip!

Me........... waiting un-patiently for this release:grin:
  16. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hi Ted, Moshe and all,
    I’m just returning from my business trip.
    The 30 mm gun’s assemblage is OK, but I’m afraid that you mismatch left and right. On the picture where they stand one to the other everything is OK, but you’ve mounted the left gun to the right wing and vice versa. That leads to some twisting of the gun cowlings. It is late to do any correction, but you can cover the mistake just if you paint the symmetry lines of the guns cowlings in their background colors.
    About symmetry lines...
    Despite that I’m doing my best to hide the paper joints between the models segments, placing them to the joint lines of the real thing skin panels, some double concaved surfaces produce sets of unwanted visible lines.
    Well, if we have a large set of unwanted visible joint lines, why don’t we add some more lines that also no present on the real thing, but are very useful for correct building?
    I’m doing this, adding the lines of symmetry, or the lines that are intersection between XOY plane and the parts, as it can be seen on the guns cowlings. They are very helpful for keeping the symmetry and the orientation of the models parts. Also they somehow emphasize the visibility of the overall paper models geometry. If the guns was placed correctly, the front view of their mid lines should appear exactly vertical.
    About the front leg undercarriage: Ted, please contact Moshe for details. Moshe reported that it differs from his A4N.
    Best++,
    Emil
  17. Emil_Zarkov

Emil_Zarkov Member

Hi Ted, Moshe and all,
    I’m just returning from my business trip.
    The 30 mm gun’s assemblage is OK, but I’m afraid that you mismatch left and right. On the picture where they stand one to the other everything is OK, but you’ve mounted the left gun to the right wing and vice versa. That leads to some twisting of the gun cowlings. It is late to do any correction, but you can cover the mistake just if you paint the symmetry lines of the guns cowlings in their background colors.
    About symmetry lines...
    Despite that I’m doing my best to hide the paper joints between the models segments, placing them to the joint lines of the real thing skin panels, some double concaved surfaces produce sets of unwanted visible lines.
    Well, if we have a large set of unwanted visible joint lines, why don’t we add some more lines that also no present on the real thing, but are very useful for correct building?
    I’m doing this, adding the lines of symmetry, or the lines that are intersection between XOY plane and the parts, as it can be seen on the guns cowlings. They are very helpful for keeping the symmetry and the orientation of the models parts. Also they somehow emphasize the visibility of the overall paper models geometry. If the guns was placed correctly, the front view of their mid lines should appear exactly vertical.
    About the front leg undercarriage: Ted, please contact Moshe for details. Moshe reported that it differs from his A4N.
    Best++,
    Emil
  18. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

John, I'll look for it in my magazines. The parking areas are made of big concrete "tiles", put together. And the runways, I'll to see the pictures...

Hi Emil, Ted and all. Emil is talking about the nose wheel steering mechanism. It'll be too small in 1/32 scale.
    Moshe
  19. ml5716111

ml5716111 Guest

John, I'll look for it in my magazines. The parking areas are made of big concrete "tiles", put together. And the runways, I'll to see the pictures...

Hi Emil, Ted and all. Emil is talking about the nose wheel steering mechanism. It'll be too small in 1/32 scale.
    Moshe
  20. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Wow! I thought I had these buggers down. It doesn't look aweful, I thought I was lining them up ok. I usually misbuild things and get a little twist in my other kits so I didn't think anything of it, sorry Emil, and Moshe. Anyways, to continue I finished up the low speed manuevering slats. From my understanding these are kind of spring loaded and are always deployed down when on the ground. I guess the increase in airspeed causes them to retract up into its recess. They increase the manueverability when a dogfight with guns gets "low and slow", allowing tighter moves without stalling. One account of this type of dogfighting says its like a knifefight in a phonebooth. Anyways similies aside here are the flaps being built up. They are not simply a doubled over part, you have to round up the leading edge, crease the underneath part and but glue the length at the back, and therre is a tiny little former at the thick end to help keep its shape. When it's all shaped up you need to put 2 tiny airfences on the leading edge. And yes I squished the tip of the 1st one a little, the part had me a little frazzeled when I built it in card, so I printed them on thinner type bond 22lb paper and went together fine. There are a little fragile with this paper but look a lot better. Not a design flaw, just a builder's preference!