Israeli A4N beta build from papermodels.co.il

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cmdrted, Mar 25, 2007.

1. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Choosing a subject for the next model is sometimes a hard thing to do when your stack is @ 2 foot + high. This next project wasn't even in the stack but it was one I wanted to build when I say the "coming attractions" on Moshe Lemur's cardmodel site. www.papermodels.co.il This kit is on the future kit list and I've been waiting "patiently" for it to be released. He recieved the files from Dr. Zarkov which needed beta built. The kit comes as a simple and detailed kit. Moshe built up the simple (thanks buddy!) and needed a to have the detailed kit built up, ie me and my big mouth. The Israeli A4N was a "gift" to the Israelis when they requested modern fighter bombers from the US to defend themselves. They asked for F4 Phantoms and somehow got A4s, I think they were ex MArine A4Ms? instead. Not looking gift horses etc. They used them to great effect! This kit is from the Golden Eagles Squadron #301 1976 to 1982. It comes electronically with @ 15 pages of parts and formers and @ 10 pages of illustrations and 2 texted USEFUL verbal instructions. Like the title says this is a beta build so any issues, if any, with the build will be resolved.

Attached Files:

2. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The kit starts out in the cockpit. This area is fairly well detailed, the seat has a little difficult part, the headrest, which was one part with a dozen or so folds. I made it easier by cutting out the centre piece and then inserting it after the side pieces were built, that part is on the right...

Attached Files:

3. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The tub itself is a pretty easy assembly...

Attached Files:

4. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The seat complete, with the instrument panel, which is my only deviation, I printed 2 cut out holes and glassed the centre for a better 3d effect...

Attached Files:

5. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The Hud/gunsight assembly...

Attached Files:

6. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

and the whole assembly...

Attached Files:

7. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Everything fit perfectly so far, and the detail is great. The only nit picking things I have were the control stick is 2d flat. I think most of Zarkov's designs are this type. I'd prefer a more rounded, wire built up if neccessary piece. I didn't scratch build one up because of the beta status. Yes I know I deviated with the instrument panel...
  8. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next up according to the instructions is the fuselage piece that holds the cockpit. I used the connector strips and formers as advised and proceeded...

Attached Files:

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You then place the wheel well into the section, the 1st glitch, really isn't a glitch. the after part of the fuselage section is shorter than the front part. This isn't a mistake it is designed shorter to have the rear arm of the landing gear clear that part. Moshe and I prefered the section be built full size and then cut it out after. I just cut the part out bigger in the back glued the fuse section then cut it out when it was complete...

Attached Files:

10. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Next you insert the instrument panel former and side pieces then slide and glue in the cockpit....

Attached Files:

11. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

This looks so cool it deserves another pic...

Attached Files:

12. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

You then back the after section with a choice of rear former, open or closed canopy, I think I picked closed, the bubble is big enough to show all the detail. I installed the gunsight and side instrument panels...

Attached Files:

13. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Now onto the forward sections...

Attached Files:

14. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The next cone forward has 2 little vents that have to be built and inerted from the inside...

Attached Files:

15. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the kit does need weight up front to sit on all three wheels... Very versatile small yet easy to place BBs...

Attached Files:

16. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

The rest of the sections were pretty standard...

Attached Files:

17. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Fwd section glued up, it takes a funny slope upward but this is normal...

Attached Files:

18. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

And the sections formed on the cockpit section...

Attached Files:

19. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

views ad nauseum...

Attached Files:

20. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Awsome Build!

I have been looking at this plane kit myself, but have been holding out for the USN Blue Angels scheme. I worked on US Marine Corps A-4Ms as an Ordnance Tech for a while when I was a Reservist. I always liked the compactness of the "Scooter". As a plane designed in the 1950's, it has served well for all who used them. It must be approaching its silver anniversary! Is the USN still using them as adversaries at Top Gun?

Cheers!

Rick