Isn't it funny.

jkristia

All week I sit here at work dreaming about what to do on the layout the next coming weekend.
Finally weekend, but before I can work on the layout I need to do this, then do that, then we need to go shopping, then we need to clean the house, oh then we need to .... etc, and before you know it it's Sunday evening.

Now it's Monday again, and I'm back to my dreaming of what I will do on the layout next weekend, because this past weekend I didn't get anything done.

Isn't that funny....

CN1

No, not that funny since I am in the same boat too.

Take care of this and that bal bla bla bla and before you know it, IT"S MONDAY AGAIN!!

rguyett

No its not funny
You have to set time aside for your trains just like you set time aside for anything else.
You work hard all week and then also work at home so you deserve to say to yourself ok sun between 8 to 10 is train time in order to relax and enjoy yourself and then do it
Just my opinion !!!!!!!!!

George D

Hey, I'm retired and find I don't have time to do much model railroading! This retirement is exhausting!
George

Clerk

I agree with George. I am also retired. Everytime I make plans to work on my layout, something else comes up. Take Saturday for example. 8 Am my son calls and said to come into town that he and his wife are taking my wife and me out to breakfast for my birthday and anniversary. By the time we got to town it was 9:30 AM. Breakfast took over 2 hours with all the gabbing my wife and daughter in law did. Then while in town we decided to go to Wal Mart and get some things we needed. (Wanted?) Another 2 hrs shot. Then a stop at the Super Market. Another 1:30 lost. It was almost 4 PM when we got home and put everything away. Nap time, another 2 hours and finally supper time. Gee. Where did the day go? The rest of this week isn't much better. Always something to do. And my layout sits there waiting for me.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
This sounds all too familiar. Heck this weekend was so busy I did not even get to check out the Gauge until this morning.

mhdishere

Chalk me up for this problem too! Last Saturday I spent hours blowing, raking, and piling leaves for pick-up, but I did get some modelling done afterward and yesterday. Some weekends I don't get anything done train-wise. I find that the more modelling time I get the better my mood is on Monday, and it improves even more when the Jets win!

Mike R

This boat so many of us seem to be in, is enormous.

I'm actually doing a little bit of my own H0 modelling for the first time in many months.
At the dining room table, no less...:eek:
[My wife is away for a few days ].
regards,
Mike;)

NScale

I feel a little better now, thought I was alone in this subject. ;)

Hey! I love working at the dinningroom table! Your always get noticed.......
(By your wife);) :D :D

MCL_RDG

The best part...

...(and the only best part) of waking up at 4:30 AM is so I could run trains before work.

The layout's currently dismantled but when it goes back uP most operations will be taking place at 4:45 AM- just after the crew's had a cup of coffee. The need to beat the commuter trains that must be running on the main all day while I'm away from the layout is a challenge.

Sometimes you'll only see a through freight headed to the big yard east. The local that stops and drops usually takes a week to get loads back to the yard as the industries churn out product and consume resources.

Usually, but not always, you can catch the first RDCs making a run for the morning at 5:50. They're baggage and a combine that bring in the morning papers and overnight express packages. Once in a blue moon you'll catch the 6:10 and then I realize I was having too much fun.

On other occasions I catch RDCs making runs in the evening while a frieght works a branch or just waits for the main to clear.

Mark :cool:

Clerk

Right now I am trying to put together a Model Power "Grandma's House" on my dinning room table. Would you believe my wife told me to use the table because of more room to spread the parts out.

jawatkins

Gee - you guys make me feel so

ashamed for being a member of the opposite sex:rolleyes:

I know that your wives think of things for you to do over the week-end. While I don't believe that someone should selfishly indulge in a hobby to the point of ignoring their family, there's really nothing wrong with making time for yourself. It's not being hedonistic, it's called saving your sanity. Hobbies are great therapy and are good for all of us. If the leaves don't get raked, so what, they aren't going anywhere, except maybe in your neighbors yard if the wind blows. Just my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Well, having said all that, I don't have alot of spare time to work on my scenery for model railroading either. I work 60+ hours a week as a restaurant manager. I work some really odd shifts and it doesn't leave me alot of time. But at least once a week, I try to spend at least some time working on scenery, even if it's an hour.

Here's hoping that we all get time to smell the roses;) or at least work on our railroads!

jon-monon

Re: Gee - you guys make me feel so

Originally posted by jawatkins
ashamed for being a member of the opposite sex:rolleyes:

Don't feel bad Judy! I'm sure both sexes are equally guilty of interfering with the other's plans. I'll bet if you go to a more female dominated hobby's forum, nad post a complaint that you hubby keeps messing up your plans, you get a heck of a response! hehehe

Rest assured, attitudes like yours are what makes marriages work out.

Here's hoping that we all get time to smell the roses;) or at least work on our railroads!

Amen!

jawatkins

Re: Re: Gee - you guys make me feel so

Originally posted by jon-monon

Don't feel bad Judy! I'm sure both sexes are equally guilty of interfering with the other's plans. I'll bet if you go to a more female dominated hobby's forum, nad post a complaint that you hubby keeps messing up your plans, you get a heck of a response! hehehe

Rest assured, attitudes like yours are what makes marriages work out.

Amen!

It's funny the things you learn as you get older. Glen and I have both had the experience of suffering through horrible first marriages. It has been those combined experiences that have taught us both the things that are really important in a relationship. We try very hard to not treat the other one harshly or have unrealistic expectations. If the laundry doesn't always get folded right out of the dryer, the grass cut on time or the house picked up in a timely manner, the world will not stop turning - I see it's still turning today.

But, I still hope you guys get your time to "work on the railroad"!:D

zeeglen

Right on Judy!

Some tongue-in-cheek TIPS:

If you spread only half the usual amount of fertilizer in the spring, the lawn will only need cutting every second weekend. This is known as 'planning ahead'.

If you go shopping, buy twice as much and cut the number of trips in half. Better yet, let them that actually like the shopping do it.

Leaf blowing only needs to be done after ALL the leaves have fallen. Any sooner is a waste of time and energy - those leaves will just keep on falling.

The house doesn't really need cleaning until company comes over. It doesn't take any longer to vacuum up twice the dust - and look at all the electricity you save!

Wear wrinkled laundry. The wrinkles will work out with some wear.

This will give plenty of time to plant scale grass that never needs cutting, do the important shopping at the LHS, sprinkle leaves on gluey trees, clean tracks and wheels, have more electricity left over to run the trains with, and look like a real trainperson after a hard run.

And yes, i'm just kidding! :D But seriously, reserving time for layout work and sticking to it should be right up there with all the other things that need doing. The layout will progress!

aartwmich

Well..it's funny..but then again it's not.

Having to do all the everything myself, including working to pay the mortgage, I've found that I have to make a list for each weekend day or I don't get much done.

This IS kind of funny, an example of a list:

1. Coffee and forum reading- a must to start the day to fuel the soul
2. bad chore-domestics, like laundry, dishes, cleaning, shopping
3. more coffee-a reward for doing the bad chores..lol
4. good chore-yard, garden, garage or workshop cleanup or maintenence stuff
5. breakfast about noon and more coffee-gotta fuel the engine!
6. really good chore-working on trains or pond and garden stuff for the rest of the day!

It NEVER ALL gets done..but it helps balance it all out. :D Little bit 'o this, little bit 'o that!

Thankfully ..or maybe pathetically..I have very few family or social obligations, cause I don't know if I could fit those in!

Jon and Judy make good points...ya gotta compromise in life! So many things..so little time!!