Island V/S Bench layout.

Woodie

Now that my new TOOT shed is nearly ready, I need to consider the first basic thing, IMO.

Pros & cons of "island" layout v/s "bench" (i.e. around the walls) layout.

Island give you twice as much viewing angles (front AND rear of scenes etc), but, of course, takes up a lot more space becuase of the "walk around" requirements on all sides. but usually, you must run the track around the edges, instead of "along the middle".

Bench, on the other hand, can be longer, and not as much hasssle on return curve tightness of track radiuses, and you can run the track up the centre of the scenery, not around the edges.

hhhhm........ **ponders** :confused:

Any thoughts?

Will_annand

Island layouts loose alot of space, you need to leave 30" on all sides so you can get around. I chose around the wall with penninsula.

You don't mention your scale or the size of your "TOOT Shed". Can you go 360 degrees in the room, a duck under/lift out would be needed.

SD90

I used both on my layout. If I had to choose one, I think it would be an around the wall layout. That would give you longer runs and less problems with the curve radius.

siderod

My layout is currently against the wall, so it's bence, BUT it could (room permitting) be pulled away and viewed on all sides...either would be nice. It was designed for the space i have, so only the front viewing side would have skirting and fascia, but all other sides COULD be covered if needed!

shamus

Registered Member
Hi Woodie,
My personal preference is around the room type, I say type as I do have an island (Sort of) on one end where I can get to the rear of the layout for maintenance. This island is 4’-6” wide. The rest is only 2’-6” off the walls. It’s also a walk in.

Shamus

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Now with the mushroom method, I have both but for the most part it looks like around the room. The upper level of the mushroom is like an island but the walkway is in the middle.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
best of both worlds

What about a little of the best of both worlds, an island on casters that could be moved next to the wall and also be rotated for a multitude of viewing angles. The only requirements would be smooth casters, a clean floor and enough room. I'm prevented by the latter, plus I didn't think of it until just now. :eek:ops: :eek:ops: :) :)

Woodie

Guys (back again) been busy for a day or so.

The "shed" is 6 metres * 7 metres. (20 feet * 24 feet) and HO.

My "shed" :D here

Also the general Australian "prototype" landscape is very flat. It is not typical to have railways running round mountain edges or through tunnels etc. Basically "flat" is the landscape, so mountain "backdrops" aren't necessarily what I'd be looking at.

But island does reduce the size, by having to have at least a 1 metre (3 foot) "buffer/work/view" space all around it.

So how do you guys go about secenery details etc, on "wall" layouts, when doing the "non viewable" side of the scenery? Or don't you worry about it?

The concept I'm having, so far, is a "dog bone" layout, so that each "circuit" of the mainlines, goes via the main area "twice" (east to west, then west to east). with the main "town" area viewable from both sides.

brakie

My preference for a layout is around the walls..Howver,I also like 30"x 6' modulars for industrial switching layouts or branch line layouts.

neilmunck

Bearing in mind that with 1m around all sides of the layout you would have a layout of 4m x 5m (enourmous for an island) I would go for and around the walls type with a couple of peninsulas.

This would be quicker to scenic because the island would probably cover more floor space but have less usable (i.e. train run on-able :) )space.

I know you want flat scenery but have you looked at the track plan for John Allens Gorre and Daphetid layout. He had a peninsula that was about 3 x 7 feet that was on a bit of a stalk so it was possible to walk around about 3 and a half sides of it.

Plsu, you 'never' see big island layouts featured in the magazines unless you count monsters like the layout in Chicagos' transport museum so I would assume that they are uncommon for a reason. Possibly they do not offer such a wide variety of choices when it comes to designing the layout?

neil