Is this a SW1500 or a SW7

berraf

Oct 29, 2006
Odeshog, Sweden
www.fasth.de
Could someone identify this loco for me?
I believe it´s a SW1500 but, as allways, I´m not sure.
Thanks for your help!
sw1500_1126.jpg

GP18m

Dec 23, 2006
I'd say it's an SW1500, based on four cab side windows, hood end and the grille on the top of the hood.

I have an athearn sw1500 by the way, which I think is an SW7 actually.

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
You should invest in a diesel spotter guide or something! that would be helpful. They go into detail about the tiniest differences that make one locomotive another.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
GP18m said:
I'd say it's an SW1500, based on four cab side windows, hood end and the grille on the top of the hood.

I have an athearn sw1500 by the way, which I think is an SW7 actually.

Athearn, at one time, marketed their SW7 as an SW1500, but in those days, not all modellers noticed the discrepancy.:eek:ops: :D
The SW7 was quite similar to a lot of other EMD/GMD switchers of the time, but not the SW1500. I used the mis-labelled SW7's to create my SW1200RS's (the CNR and CPR both used the prototypes, which had integral numberboards and larger fuel tanks than my models). All used the four-wheel Flexicoil truck, as the "RS" stood for "roadswitcher". Mine have been remotored and heavily ballasted.

100_5390.jpg

By altering the sloped hood in front of the cab, I was also able to build this NW2, also equipped with a can motor, pick-up shoes, and a cab interior. Lots of other details too, and also heavily ballasted.

100_5392.jpg

Wayne

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Those are nice, Wayne. I like the plow on the CN unit.
I'm currently working on a P2K conversion of my own to replace this Athearn unit:
ajo.sized.jpg

Currently on the proto unit I've added the number boards (Juneco ones with the headlights drilled out) Spark arrestors, all weather windows, and a new horn. I'm working on fitting a set of Flexcoil truck sideframes to it.
akb.sized.jpg

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Thanks Glen. I thought about using the Juneco parts, but decided that, because my road is freelanced, I'd stick with a somewhat different design. All of my steamers have separate number boards, so I carried it through on the diesels. On the rare occasions when I do run diesels, it's usually in conjunction with steam, and often even doubleheaded with it. My SW1200RS's originally had the Juneco sideframes, which added even more weight, but I changed them out when Athearn released their version of the Flexicoil truck. By the way, that NW2 that looks like a CNR unit is actually another of my freelanced roads, the Grand Valley Southern, a connecting road between the Elora Gorge & Eastern and the Grand Valley. I based it on a liberal interpretation of the CNR scheme, and hope to have some better photos soon. I used SMP Accupaint's CNR Green and Yellow, the same as was used on the FPA/FPB-4 units shown below.
100_5439.jpg

These two are extensively reworked Model Power units, painted, unlike their prototypes, in CNR's freight scheme. The striping is from an Accucals CNR cab unit set, with lettering from C-D-S alphabets.

Wayne

LongIslandTom

Apr 8, 2006
Long Island, NY
I remember seeing something similar on SP and DRGW F-units that operated in the Rockies... Those on the SP and DRGW locos were used for breaking icicles off tunnel portals and such. Don't know about the ones on Wayne's locos though (if they are not something behind them, LOL).

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Those are called icicle breakers. Northern climate railroads had them for passenger trains engines that ran dome cars. Common sense told railroaders that if something didn't break the icilces off before the dome cars they would be replacing the front glass in the dome alot.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
green_elite_cab said:
It looks like there are handrails on the roof of the locomotive. What are they for? or are they part of something behind the locomotive?

I see that there are already a few correct answers: They are icicle breakers, to ensure that the dome car windows don't get broken by icicles in the tunnels. I also put them on the E-unit that normally powers the trainset that includes domes. Here's a better view.

100_5608.jpg

Wayne