is there any Guage members in Tucson AZ

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
The best I know of is in the Ace Hardware store at 22nd and Kolb. It is actually on the north side of 22nd just a little west of Kolb. There is a gas station or some other unimportant thing on the actual corner. They have just expanded space wise, I haven't really looked through to see if they have added stuff or just uncrowded themselves.

Jeff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
jim currie said:
Thanks jeff :) whats a shop called Baggage car Hobbies on S. Olsen like ?

Hmmm, I have not heard of it, or been there (obviously). I thought I had checked the phone book thouroughly. I will research and report back....

Jeff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I'll try to do a drive by before the weekend, anyway. Perhaps it is new. There was a rather large (though more O scale sort, but some smaller) shop close a year or two ago, perhaps someone realized there was an opening...

Jeff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
145 S. Olsen appears to be an auto repair shop adjoining an apparently vacant business, and did not appear inviting at all. Perhaps they run mail order out of there, but I sure didn't see any sign of a hobby store.

Jeff

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
ok thanks jeff there a phone number(520 798 1699) in the listing will give them a buzz to see whats up . kind odd that there in the Mainline Modeler it isn't free:(

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I don't know that one. That isn't really in my neck of the desert. I remember going into a hobby store somewhere up there, it was pretty much cars, models, planes, etc. But that might not have been the one. Sorry I can't help you with that. If you find anyplace interesting let me know, I am always looking for places to try not to spend money!

Jeff

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Jim,

There is a model train club there in Tucson. I looked up "coming events" for Tucson, and only found one, but there's a name and a phone # you might call and see if he knows of anything. Look here at trains.com and see if you want to contact this guy. There's got to be something there.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
baldwinjl said:
The best I know of is in the Ace Hardware store at 22nd and Kolb. It is actually on the north side of 22nd just a little west of Kolb. There is a gas station or some other unimportant thing on the actual corner. They have just expanded space wise, I haven't really looked through to see if they have added stuff or just uncrowded themselves.

Jeff
I was just at this store a couple weeks ago and like you said, they just expanded (seems like twice the size of what it used to be) and had a lot of empty shelves. All of the N scale stuff was packed away somewhere in boxes and they had not had a chance to restock the shelves. Before he expanded, he seemed to have a well rounded selection of all kinds of stuff. I am looking forward to my next visit when hopefully the shelves will be restocked.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
I didn't have time to browse, but I was in there over the weekend, and the N scale stuff is back out. It is much less crowded. It should make things easier to find.

Jeff

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I never heard of an Ace Hardware having model stuff, that's great. The closest shop we have up here is that Hobby Bench on Bell Rd. There's two Ace stores within a few miles of me, and they're going to build one right around the corner from us. Man, wouldn't that be a blast if they decided to stock N scale.:thumb: :thumb:

hmm, going along that train of thought, I wonder if Walgreen's ever thought about adding a model train section.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've got about six of those within two minutes of our house.:D

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
jim currie said:
ok thanks jeff there a phone number(520 798 1699) in the listing will give them a buzz to see whats up . kind odd that there in the Mainline Modeler it isn't free:(

I have seen hobby shops from So Cal listed in the various modeling mags 1 or 2 years after they went out of business. It isn't free to list in the mag, but I think they sometimes leave obsolete listing in to "fatten" up the list and make it look better than it is.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
ezdays said:
I never heard of an Ace Hardware having model stuff, that's great. The closest shop we have up here is that Hobby Bench on Bell Rd. There's two Ace stores within a few miles of me, and they're going to build one right around the corner from us. Man, wouldn't that be a blast if they decided to stock N scale.:thumb: :thumb:

hmm, going along that train of thought, I wonder if Walgreen's ever thought about adding a model train section.:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I've got about six of those within two minutes of our house.:D

It is unusual, and I don't know the history. On the outside there is a sign over the end of the store where the hobby stuff is, I think it is "The Hobby Place". There is a door there, but it is closed off (the store is in basically what must have been built a a strip mall, but ACE has taken over most of it, so it is sort of like a bunch of stores tied together). The hobby area is pretty much separate from the rest of the store, but you pay at the same registers as the rest of the store. I think they must have recently taken over more space or something because the back half of the buiding where the hobby place was has been opened up, so it pretty much doubled in floorspace.

Jeff