is NS and BNSF trying to merge?

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by firefighter1811, Oct 2, 2004.

1. firefighter1811

firefighter1811 New Member

Hi all I am woundering whats up with all the BNSF units on the NS line's lately?? almost evey day you see a BNSF on the ns line in altoona. are they thinking about merging or something? anouther railroad you see alot of on the NS line is UP anyone know whay this might be?

Mike
  2. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

It is probably pool power. Either BNSF & UP supplying excess power for the pool, or more likely, both companys paying back pool power.
  3. firefighter1811

very interesting that railroads are so willing to help each other like that. there was a day that they would reather destroy each other then help.

Mike
  4. Chessie6459

Chessie6459 Gauge Oldtimer

I have seen photo's from down there at the juniata shops and there were some BNSF & UP power being rebuilt. Don't know why. But you will always seen foriegn power in altoona.
  5. Chessie6459

Hey mike did you see about a couple of months ago that there was a former Southern Locomotive there at the Shops?
  6. firefighter1811

was that the restored one that is in southern green? yes I did see it. if I can find it I will post the picture
  7. Chessie6459

That would be it. If you can that would be great :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
  8. railohio

railohio Active Member

But NS and BNSF are hardly competing for any traffic so for them to want to "destroy" each other would be highly illogical.
  9. firefighter1811

ya but I was talking about the steam days when the railroads compeated for location. I have heard lots of tales about railroads sabatogeing each other just to get a foot in the door so they can controle that area. that might just be tales though does anyone know if the railroads done any of this? BTW sorry for the spelling I am a terrible speller so bare with me

Mike

10. Chessie6459

I don't think it will ever happen. I can remember hearing my dad talking to a guy and he said that if NS does not improve in the next couple of years, another railroad was going to come in and two of the railroads were UP & BNSF, but that was just hear say. Hopefully NS will stay here and nothing will happen. NS is a Class I Railroad. :thumb:
  11. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

U.P. screwed things up so badly when they merged the S.P. into their system that they pretty much "poisoned the well" for any other mergers. Most railroads have "busy seasons" and "slack seasons." Contributing excess motive power to a pool when slack, and then borrowing power from the pool when they get busy makes a lot of sense. Locomotives are too expensive to have a bunch of extras for those busy times. On the other hand, if a railroad doesn't have enough power, then they have to turn down business. Here in So. Cal. I've seen BNSF power on the U.P. and vice versa.
  12. Chessie6459

WOW :eek:

A couple of weeks ago i have seen UP, & CP coming through on freight trains. Of course they were the second or third unit in the trains.
  13. AAR Jeff

AAR Jeff New Member

For expedited movement of freight, railroads typically have run-through power agreements so they do not have to swap power at the interchange. When this occurs they utilize a horse power hour formula that is settled periodically to "compensate" a road for the loss of its power when it is on the foriegn line. Generally the settelment is accomplished when the owing road assigns power to the owed road for a period of time necessary to equalize the horse power hours.

As for Altoona, they have "insourced" locomotive service for quite some time.

Hope this helps...
  14. firefighter1811

15. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

These power sharing agreements must save lots of time and money for both roads and seem to becoming common, I have frequently seen BNSF and UP power on CSX lines all the way down there in Georgia.
  16. firefighter1811

ya and it is real nice to see as much forein power as we can get right!!!
  17. Chessie6459

I would have to agree with you on that.
  18. Hoghead

Hoghead Member

Pool Power

We get a lot of different motors from various railroads in my neck of the woods on CSX. UP/BNSF/CP.....as far as the bNSf merger, that has been around since I hired out in 1997. UP-CSX was suppose to be the other merger. Lately though, I have heard that the only one that can pull off a takeover of CSX is the CN. Makes sense in a way. It would give the CN a strong foothold in the Northeast.
  19. firefighter1811

ya I got to agree with ya there Cn would greatly benefit from a csx merger or even a ns merger but I realy dont want to see a merger of any kind go through since there is not many bigger RR's any more

BTW how is Cn doing thease days??
  20. SAL Comet

SAL Comet Member

Speaking of that, I saw a coal train on the NS line near my house here in N. Georgia today with 2 BNSF loco's pulling and 2 NS loco's pushing, Quit a site.