is NS and BNSF trying to merge?

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
Hi all I am woundering whats up with all the BNSF units on the NS line's lately?? almost evey day you see a BNSF on the ns line in altoona. are they thinking about merging or something? anouther railroad you see alot of on the NS line is UP anyone know whay this might be?

Mike

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
very interesting that railroads are so willing to help each other like that. there was a day that they would reather destroy each other then help.

Mike

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
was that the restored one that is in southern green? yes I did see it. if I can find it I will post the picture

railohio

Dec 29, 2000
firefighter1811 said:
very interesting that railroads are so willing to help each other like that. there was a day that they would reather destroy each other then help.

Mike

But NS and BNSF are hardly competing for any traffic so for them to want to "destroy" each other would be highly illogical.

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
ya but I was talking about the steam days when the railroads compeated for location. I have heard lots of tales about railroads sabatogeing each other just to get a foot in the door so they can controle that area. that might just be tales though does anyone know if the railroads done any of this? BTW sorry for the spelling I am a terrible speller so bare with me

Mike

Brian Schmidt said:
But NS and BNSF are hardly competing for any traffic so for them to want to "destroy" each other would be highly illogical.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
ya but I was talking about the steam days when the railroads compeated for location. I have heard lots of tales about railroads sabatogeing each other just to get a foot in the door so they can controle that area. that might just be tales though does anyone know if the railroads done any of this? BTW sorry for the spelling I am a terrible speller so bare with me

I don't think it will ever happen. I can remember hearing my dad talking to a guy and he said that if NS does not improve in the next couple of years, another railroad was going to come in and two of the railroads were UP & BNSF, but that was just hear say. Hopefully NS will stay here and nothing will happen. NS is a Class I Railroad. :thumb:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
U.P. screwed things up so badly when they merged the S.P. into their system that they pretty much "poisoned the well" for any other mergers. Most railroads have "busy seasons" and "slack seasons." Contributing excess motive power to a pool when slack, and then borrowing power from the pool when they get busy makes a lot of sense. Locomotives are too expensive to have a bunch of extras for those busy times. On the other hand, if a railroad doesn't have enough power, then they have to turn down business. Here in So. Cal. I've seen BNSF power on the U.P. and vice versa.

Chessie6459

Gauge Oldtimer
U.P. screwed things up so badly when they merged the S.P. into their system that they pretty much "poisoned the well" for any other mergers. Most railroads have "busy seasons" and "slack seasons." Contributing excess motive power to a pool when slack, and then borrowing power from the pool when they get busy makes a lot of sense. Locomotives are too expensive to have a bunch of extras for those busy times. On the other hand, if a railroad doesn't have enough power, then they have to turn down business. Here in So. Cal. I've seen BNSF power on the U.P. and vice versa.

WOW :eek:

A couple of weeks ago i have seen UP, & CP coming through on freight trains. Of course they were the second or third unit in the trains.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
These power sharing agreements must save lots of time and money for both roads and seem to becoming common, I have frequently seen BNSF and UP power on CSX lines all the way down there in Georgia.

Hoghead

Jul 10, 2002
Eastern US
Visit site
Pool Power

We get a lot of different motors from various railroads in my neck of the woods on CSX. UP/BNSF/CP.....as far as the bNSf merger, that has been around since I hired out in 1997. UP-CSX was suppose to be the other merger. Lately though, I have heard that the only one that can pull off a takeover of CSX is the CN. Makes sense in a way. It would give the CN a strong foothold in the Northeast.

firefighter1811

Oct 1, 2004
ya I got to agree with ya there Cn would greatly benefit from a csx merger or even a ns merger but I realy dont want to see a merger of any kind go through since there is not many bigger RR's any more

BTW how is Cn doing thease days??

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Speaking of that, I saw a coal train on the NS line near my house here in N. Georgia today with 2 BNSF loco's pulling and 2 NS loco's pushing, Quit a site.