Is N Scale Kato track good for a layout? Ideas???

Within the limits of sectional track, yes. I have never heard any complaints about reliability which is one of the most important attributes of good track. Disclaimer: I don't use it personally.

It is pricey, however; even used Kato Unitrack is not inexpensive relative to most other sectional brands. I think this is an example of "you get what you pay for."

oleirish

I would love to use KATO uni-track But the price is way over my head,all I've heard it is great stuff!
JIM

TexDoc

Using UniTrack

I have a room sized layout utilizing Unitrack in N scale. This is the third layout i've build (due to moves over the last 15 years). I am using the same Unitrack that I bought in 1991 and used on those layouts. Yes, some was unusable, but the majority is doing a great job. I paint and weather the track and build up the ground or bury track in yards so the ballast is not showing. And I am 100% DCC and Unitrack is wonderful. The layour is on 4" base of foam on Severs benchwork, off the wall and at 53". Had I dismantled a layout using flex track or snap track I would have not been able to reuse the nearly 100% I am able to use with Unitrack.
Can you tell I love it?
Doc in CC

MCL_RDG

I too...

...had a spare bedroom sized layout and used UT (UniTrack). I enjoyed the flexibility to remove/replace pieces of track as the RR developed. You know, the old- gee, I thought my track plan was so kewl~~~, but it stinks thing. I finally settled or built into what made the RR most interesting to me without having to nail anything down- or tear anything out.

I had very few derailments excepting when backing a 40 car train through a turnout on a curve and then it was the lightest of cars- an empty MT 35' hopper*. I believe it was the 11" radius going into the turnout. I just broke the train on the main and only backed the required cars- not the whole train- adding operation.

It operates as described by Tex- unfotunately I don't have any pics and the layout camedown when I lost my job after 9/11. But hey, I have a new one going up- perhaps if this thread is around in a few months...

Did I mention that I'm a klutz when it comes to track work and UN is just what I needed?!!!

Mark

*I corrected the mispelling of hopper from hooper (Just in case all the MT collector freaks thought they missed a car).

ezdays

Out AZ way
TexDoc said:
Yes I do have pictures, but I have never posted any on this group and don't know how.
Doc
Fear not Doc, we can help you on this. To start with, there's a step-by-step tutorial on how to post pictures on the Gauge. That thread is in the photo forum so just click right here. Check it out and give it a try. If you have problems resizing your photos, there's another tutorial that explains how to do that. If these don't make sense to you or they don't work, let me know and I'll work with you by email or PM until we have you posting pictures.

Papa Bear

gregbva123 said:
Is N Scale Kato good track for a N Scale layout?

YES!
pg_ltcurve.jpg

Reliable, reusable - hey, what more can you ask? I've started on my third layout with Unitrack and am very satisfied with the results results. This photo is from my earlier Pensacola and Gulf RR.

TexDoc

Thanks Don,
Really easy to do. I put a few up and will add some more when I have a chance to sort through my stash.
I am working on a small town module to add to the layout. I'll post a picture or two if I think it looks presentable.
Doc in CC

GRSJr

Simply put, if operation is important to you, and cleaning track is a pain, UniTrack is the very best!!!!

If a diarama with pretty track is what you want, UniTrack can be made to come close, but smaller rail size may outweigh the major advantages of UniTrack

n2trains

A good friend of mine fell upon a great deal of used Kato Unitrack. As somebody said before me, you get what you pay for. I have nothing but the best to say about it. It's easy to use, it's great for blcok sectioning (especially the atuomatic turnout sectioning (though it can become a pain in the you know what in yards), and is amazingly simple to wire! If you have any questions, feel free to contact me!