Is N and HO layout taboo?

L

LuckyFind

First off my apologys to anyone I offended with with my prior post about the value of a Loco I just got:eek:ops: . Won't happen again!

I am designing my first layout, and wanted to know if it is taboo to combine N-Scale and HO-Scale in one layout. If it is, go ahead and blast me.:curse: If not, could you direct me to pictures or suggestions on how to make the two work together successfully in one layout.

Much Appreciated.....-Tom:wave:

N

nachoman

i've seen it done before in several ways:

1) use N scale to make a small "amusement park" train - like they have at zoos, etc.

2) use N scale in the background for forced perspective

3) HO/HOn30 - the HOn30 are HO scale trains running on N gauge track to represent narrrow gauge.

but...this is your layout, you can do whatever you want.

kevin

L

LuckyFind

Amusement Park Accessories

Thanks Kevin,

My initial thought was to buy a doll of appropriate size to have him or her playing with the N Scale train within the HO layout. I love the concept of an amusement park though. Any suggestions on a carrier of Hobby Scale Amusement park accessories.

thanks, -tom

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Tom, there isn't quite enough difference between HO (1:87) and N (1:160) to have N really represent toys in HO - N is only about 45% smaller. However, Kevin's suggestion is quite do-able with N or Z (1:220) scale within an HO world.

Andrew

L

LuckyFind

Great! Thanks guys. I'll do some more research. I have 3 complete train sets right now and am making a list of material that I need to buy in the next 6 weeks. I really think Kevins suggestion is great. But I do understand the reality aspect of the ratio problem. I'll keep working on it. I am drawing out everything to make sure it works before I go spending my wifes money. LOL

I may not seem it, but I am pretty creative, and hope to come up with something that you guys haven't seen before. -tom;)

I'm playing around with the idea of using some N scale stuff to add movement to mine tunnels in a large central mine scene planned for the BAD Western. So far its just a partially baked idea though.
Doc

LeadvilleRRkid

Doc Holliday said:
I'm playing around with the idea of using some N scale stuff to add movement to mine tunnels in a large central mine scene planned for the BAD Western. So far its just a partially baked idea though.
Doc

Hey, doc,
I grew up with mining (Leadville, CO) the only problem I see with modeling 'muck- trains" is that they all run on Trollies....sounds like a good idea, but a lot of work...post pictures when you do this

b28_82

This sparked a question in my head... Has anyone tried using N-scale as "live steam" in an HO layout?

I think you should do whatever you want. It's your layout and you have to be true to yourself. I said something to my wife about her using an HO train set in her Department 56 Christmas Village and she said that she did not want the larger On30 scale which would be more in scale because it would hide her beautiful houses. And then she said the HO was big enough. So there you go.

Will_annand

IHC has a whole series of carnival type kits.

You could do an amusement park using these kits and have an N scale 4-4-0 pulling a couple of MDC 34' Overton Coaches on a track the goes right around the amusement park. Something like Disney does.

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
I recall reading about a modeler who created a train in N scale that looked exactly like his HO scale train...had his HO scale track go into a tunnel and off layout into staging so the N scale version could then appear in the background, creating the impression of the same train traveling far away. Clever stuff.
Ralph

GeorgeHO

Model Railroader Magazine had an issue a while back showing a club with a large layout, having O, S, and HO all together, and even one scene with all three guages passing in front of the passenger station. O in foreground, S in the middle, and HO by the station.

jim currie

LeadvilleRRkid said:
Hey, doc,
I grew up with mining (Leadville, CO) the only problem I see with modeling 'muck- trains" is that they all run on Trollies....sounds like a good idea, but a lot of work...post pictures when you do this

did you work in the climax mine ?

KCS

Well, forbid 1/8 (live steam) railroading is so expensive and I'd love to get into it but a single locomotive will only cost you a ball park figure of $10,000. I'm thinking about mixing HO with Z scale. Ho would represent the real thing and the Z scale would represent a live steam club on a large piece of property running their trains and having fun. It would be easy to do because all you would have to do is make a seat inside a Z scale gondola and glue a HO figure sitting down running his train.

LeadvilleRRkid

jim currie said:
did you work in the climax mine ?

my dad worked there for 28 years, and one summer (1979) he pulled some strings and got me a summer job as a helper on a muck-crew ( I operated a shovel
frown.gif
) for a a month until I got 'promoted' to driller. It accomplished two things, I was wet, underpaid, overworked. Secondly, it made me decide on a different occupation (USMC) where I was wet, underpaid, overworked.
smile.gif

now I work for the Phone company.
I noticed that you are from Arizona... you work in the mines there?
Chris

pgandw

I had thought of doing something similar in O (3-rail) and On30 (HO). I could play with my tinplate stuff on the 3 rail track, enjoy the beautiful but reasonably priced On30 stuff on the HO track, and run my HO on the HO track when nobody was looking. Idea came together when I looked at some old Lionel display layout plans that featured Super O, O27, and HO on same display layout, and I was working on plans for a small HO/HOn3 layout that featured the interchange between the 2 guages.

Bottom line is, "This is a hobby; have fun!"

LeadvilleRRkid

Doc Holliday said:
Doc

Doc,
I have been searching (rather than working) for a picture of a muck train motor.
This one was the only one I could find on short notice. Thanks to you, I think that I am going to try to scratchbuild one....wish me luck. and I wish luck to you as well.
Chris
ps. I think that I have attached a pix, but I'm not sure

Sorry Chris, looks like your pix didn't make it. I'd like to see what you have in mind. If you can't get it posted, e-mail it to me and I'll upload it here for all to see.
Doc

LeadvilleRRkid

Doc,
I see that you can't do attachments to these,
give me an e-mail address, and I'll send it to you that way....
this is all new to me, and I still do not have the bugs worked out.
this thing won't even allow an e-mail address so use the one below w/o spaces
Chris
gallobc @ coastalnow.com