Is it true??

well my wife and kids think am looney and most of the people and friends think am wasting my time if not for this board and hobby with alot of very fine people and artist:D :D rich

ps jon can your spare some of your meds

Rusty Stumps

When the wife and I got married, many years ago, her uncles made the comment when they heard that I was into model railroading.."He's picked a rich man's hobby!"

Well ya! I feel rich for doing it, certainly not finacially, but it's very rewarding no matter what aspect of it you particularly excel at or enjoy. "different strokes for different folks!":D :rolleyes: :D :cool:

jon-monon

heeeeeeeeeeeera Johny!

OK Rich, here ya go!

prozac.jpg

Best results obtained if ya wash it down with a milk glass full of gin.

Hey watchit 88, I think the P-K line started with a Brio
:D :D :D (j/k no offense was taken)

I'm rat heyar Charlie, you don't have to go back into the closet. What really matters is how does the closet make you feel?

RS - I bet Rich thinks it's a Rich man's hobby too!

All joking aside (from my ealier post), one of the things I have found helpful is my layout "photo album." (It's actually just a 3-ring binder with some of those plastic page protectors in it. The photos are inkjet prints.) If someone is actually interested in my hobby (meaning they ask more than one question and don't try to change the subject :rolleyes: ), I offer to show them some photos of my layout. Their reactions are usually very positive after seeing the photos.

I think a lot of people outside the hobby perceive model railroads to be plastic trains running in a circle on a 4X8 piece of plain plywood with a gaudy paper mache' mountain-tunnel at one end.

n-scaler-dude

If you think telling people you're a model railroader is an experience, try telling them that you also collect stamps, that you like to draw and paint a little, that you're a musician, and that you grew up with parents who were dealers of miniature dollhouse furniture.......especially around here where the BIG (manly) hobbies are huntin', fishin' and Nascar.

After they've all had their laughs, I usually follow it up with something like "I'm also into torture and self-mutilation", which normally shut's them up.
;) ;) ;)

My mother, who was born near the end of the 19th century and loved ironic humor, used to say something like, "Everyone is insane except me and thee..... And sometimes I wonder about thee."

On the other hand, my father, who was born about the same time, was disgusted with me when I continued to "play with trains" past age 13 or so.

Between the two of them, I guess I learned to do what pleased ME in life, so long as it didn't harm others, and to not give a rat's derriere what others might think.

It is interesting though: Prior to ten years or so ago, people did seem to look at me like I was some sort of nut if I mentioned that I was a model railroader. Now they actually seem at least a little bit interested. Don't know whether the times they are a changin', or whether it's just that people now make allowances for the fact that I'm approaching my slobbering years.

Bill S

jon-monon

LOL on that slobber, Bill! :D :D :D Ever notived how as we age, we become more like we started out? Chubby, round, unable to move around well, manipulate objects, get food in out mouths, controll bodily functions, speak well or at all... etc., etc., you name it, it's eventually going to revert. :eek:

There's a crazy in every family, and if you don't know hwo it is, it's probably you. Glad my Dad's nutz :D :D :D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
I think a lot of people outside the hobby perceive model railroads to be plastic trains running in a circle on a 4X8 piece of plain plywood with a gaudy paper mache' mountain-tunnel at one end.

At the "mall shows", these people get to see model railroading for the first time. I really enjoy seeing them, as they see the modular layout, the look on the face, and the mouth forming the "wow!".
I may be crazy, but it has its rewards.
Pete

TR-Flyer

Hi:
Being one of those guys that still run "plastic trains”, i wanted to share my recent experience. Two other ACSG members and I set up a Christmas layout in the lobby of the Hampton Inn here in town. It was for an event called “Vista Lights” that showcases the arts community’s work and also brings people downtown the “Vista” section of the city to shop and eat. The city closes several of the roads to car traffic and turns the street over to people for the evening. Our layout was part of the American Institute of Architects exhibit on “Art by Designers”. Well, I don’t call my stuff art, but the AIA said “come on down!” when I called them to see if they wanted a train layout as part of their exhibit. So we set up a 10’ x 14’ modular layout.

Well, the wine and cheese crowd was thrilled. We had all sorts of folks in the community pushing buttons to load barrels, blow whistles, light up water towers and such. Saw a couple of my colleagues, very “serious” designers, standing back just looking at the layout and grinnin’. Even got a couple of them to walk around the layout and push the buttons. THAT was fun for both of us. The women who came by were a real treat. If you could get them started “helping us run the railroad”, they couldn’t stop until they’d gone all the way around and pushed every button. Had mom’s walking around the layout telling their daughters, some of whom had never seen a train layout up close and operable, about their “brothers” layouts that they had sneaked down into the basement to run when bro’ wasn’t home.

Of course, the kids were thrilled to see something that wasn’t a painting or a sculpture and that they could also touch. Most of the Hi-rail stuff may not have the scale details, but it does put a grin on people’s faces. It’s fun to operate and, in your imagination, it’s as real a ride down the rails into adventure as anything.

Happy motoring,
Ted

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
A couple of nights ago, my neighbor brought over her grandson to see the Christmas train. I ran it around a couple of times blew the whistle. Just saw her a little while ago, and she told me that thats all he could talk about all the way home.Just about drove his parents batty. Nothing like the smile of a youngster. Future Gauge member.......Possible!
Try that stamp collecting!
Who's crazier, you or the guy that told you, you were crazy!

jon-monon

Nice story 88, maybe they'll get the kid a train set and his dad can get a life too! Sorry, I couldn't resist, I shouldn't say such things, I know, meds... sleep... :D :D :D Wouldn't that be cool if about the next time you see his dad dropping him off he stops by with a buncha questions?

Re: heeeeeeeeeeeera Johny!

Originally posted by jon-monon
OK Rich, here ya go!

prozac.jpg

Best results obtained if ya wash it down with a milk glass full of gin

RS - I bet Rich thinks it's a Rich man's hobby too!

thats works jon thanks I needed that and as far this being a RICH man's hobby ask my wife she thinks am a little looney about trains and I spend to much time and money and the key word is money:eek: :eek: rich