Is it true??

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Recently I am hearing "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness." Is that true of us model railroaders and railroad photographers? I sometimes think so as well as some of those now unwelcome friends and realtives. How many of you tell your aquaintences or business associates that you are a model railroader!!!

:D :D :D

Clerk

Nov 6, 2002
Esparto, California
Visit site
Robin. It runs about 50/50 of the people I tell that I am a model railroader that compliment me on having a hobby and the other 50% don't say any thing about it. Just look at me kind of funny and change the subject.:p :p

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Robin my friend, I have had all sorts of comments from people -"Playing with trains at your age" to "Thats one hell of a nice idea, got to try that" and best of all was just last week. A friend of mine at the Golf course asked me what my hobbies were apart from Golf, so I said I run a model Railroad. He looked at me and said "Oh, how many GIRLS have you got" Hmmmmm.

Shamus
wink.gif

Some people don't understand what model railroading is about :rolleyes: But when they see the layout. The expression on their faces changes to awe :D Let them run a train and boy u can't get the controler back. i've never met anyone who did not like it. i think train shows are the greatest for exposure. Before i had my first train set my Dad took me to the train exhibit from the age of six every year. Even when i was younger i remember my Dad waiting at the railway crossing so i could watch the train go by. Yep i'm crazy for my trains :p ;) and i tell everyone about my hobby :D

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Originally posted by Matthyro
Recently I am hearing "There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

:D :D :D

Dang Robin, Who came up with that?:confused: One of the tenants of good mental health is to have an outlet for one's anxiety and frustrations which hobbies, regardless of what they are, provide.

Sounds like to me that the Jackass that came up with that observation needs to do some serious "couch time" with a qualified professional or at the least get his ass on down to the LHS and find him something to do.:mad: :D :D

Yes its true, modelers do create their own little worlds...there's nothing wrong with that and they are nothing to hide or be ashamed of. In fact most people who critisize or make fun of models (read trains) are actually envious of what you have created because they neither have the will or the gumption to try to accomplish something that complex.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Vic, you are absolutely correct! Some feel we are talking about "playing" with trains, when in reality, we are creating an artististic piece of work. Many don't realise the complexity of making a working model railroad and are astonished when they see a good layout.
Some feel that model aircraft is a more "respectable" hobby, but sometimes they get confused with "cost makes it respectable". But they also are "playing" in their little world.
I'd much rather men go in for modelling miniatures than have them be obsessive about guns and their notions of being Rambo and "macho".
I get the same 50/50% response when I tell others what my hobby is.
Anyway, nobody is going to change my idea that model RR'ing is probably the most complex hobby to get involved with. There's geometry, woodworking, electrical/electronics, photography, adhesives, colour differentiation, texture, architecture and heavens knows what other techie things we get to know about in this super hobby of ours. But best of all.... WE MAKE IT ALL OURSELVES!!!!:D :D :D :D

I'll step off the soapbox now .. :cool: :cool: :eek: :eek: :D

Errol

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
A postscript!!

More ladies should be into this hobby. They are (generally speaking) more into art than we ham fisted guys :) :) I still luvs ya'll :D :D
And you Americans have it as a constitutional right To Seek Happiness!! That speaks for itself :)

Errol

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
My Turn :)

i get about 50/50 also. But when I even mention I lunter ata ailroad Museum every Saturday from October until March. It changes ot around 60/40.

I get comments ranging

- well what you do there? and --
Why would you want to work 6 days a week, (5 normal Job - 1 Museum) all winter.

to

Wait, you go "all the way out there?" (1hr 15 Min. each way) -- and you DON'T get paid????? :eek: You MUST realy love it!!! (i do) :)

~~ Mikey

Freelancer

Oct 24, 2002
Utah
www.yardlimit.com
Ya, I get a lot of mockery from my peers. Like Railery said, you let them see your layout and it is a different story. Although most of them are quite distructive and would rather see the train wreck, but I guess we need a "sense of adventure" right! I am atleast doing something productive. Another thing to add to Kettlestack's list is, learning patience, and problem solving techniques. This is the greatest hobby ever, so be proud.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
A slightly different perspective. When there's a model train show, you get model railroaders. When you do a show in a mall, you get the general public. You'd be surprised what the general public DOESN'T KNOW about model railroading !
In most cases, I hear,"I thought model trains ran around the Christmas tree", and, "I had no idea there was SO MUCH involved in model trains". Oh, I do, occasionally, hear "cute".
I suspect, that most people who think we're crazy, haven't seen a real layout. (on the other hand, maybe they have!).
Those who question the cost of the hobby? I usually ask them what they have after 10 visits to their favorite golf course, and then explain that the loco they see running, probably cost about the same as their 10 visits.
Now, if I could only get this funny coat untied................

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Originally posted by sumpter250

Don't worry Pete, you'll get out. Probably just not holding your mouth right.

You guys are riotght, there's nothing to be ashamed of. If they see it and still don't get it, they are on a different level, incapable of understanding. Take a magnifier to 'em if your outdoors.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Originally posted by sumpter250

Those who question the cost of the hobby? I usually ask them what they have after 10 visits to their favorite golf course, and then explain that the loco they see running, probably cost about the same as their 10 visits.

Now you're coming over to "my neck of the woods" - That's what I tell 'em when they look at my Sword Collection. ----- I ask them what do they have to show??

The Wife & I have about 20 Swords now.. Mostly "Movie Items" :) :) :)

It's a "Trade off" for the Train Collection - The Trains are worth about Twice as much as the swords. :D :D :D :D

And they tell me I'm nutz - Whatta dey know..! :D ROFL :D

~~ Mikey