Is it possible to electrically isolate Bachmann ez tracks?

Mountain Man

Jan 19, 2007
I would just use a razor saw or dremel tool to cut the rail (and then a drop of CA to insure the rail doesn't move and short) and solder the wire leads to the joiners.

But that would negate the attempt to isolate that section. The power feed should be to the isolated section by itself to maintain integrity. Wiring the joiners is the same as not cutting the track in the first place, since power will flow to both the isolated and connected block.

GWoodle

Oct 31, 2008
Nashville TN
The rail joiners may be just loose enough that you can swap them for some Atlas plastic (insulated) ones.

AFAIK the turnouts are power routing. You may need to modify the tirnout to be sure both ends are lined correctly.

There may finally be a book out about using EZtrak. Look in the Jan issue of RMC.

ZeldaTheSwordsman

Thomas Modeler
Sep 30, 2008
Well, you can slip on plastic joiners at the ends of a block and include a power terminal track in the block. Plug that in and you're good to go.

jeffrey-wimberl

Oct 25, 2006
Sundown, Louisiana, USA
Getting the joiners off of EZ-Track is not a simple thing to do. What I do is to simply cut the rails with my Dremel rotary tool. The section can then be wired through a center-off DPDT switch for multi-cab control. My layout is all Z-Track. I cut the layout into 16 blocks using this method. I can use any block on DC or DCC (never both at once) with the simple flip of a switch, up for DCC, down for DC.