Is it just my browser?

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
When I use the "Gauge Classic" scheme to view the forums, embedded links show up as underlined text. In the "Gauge New" scheme, the links are only highlighted when you roll over them.

Is it me? Is it Firefox? Or what? :confused:

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
It's probably the forums,but I've had a few problems with FireFox lately also.Mostly here and on E-Bay.

Chris

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Naw, I don't think it's you; it's just the way things are set-up. If you're the kind of person who reads a book by scrolling down the page with your finger (hopefully not also moving your lips as you read), sign1 then perhaps you might also read on your monitor by following along with the cursor. I don't, and as a result, often miss links that are not otherwise obvious. I try to remember when posting a link to go back and highlight it in another colour, to make it stand out. This courtesy would work for pretty much anyone, as even I no longer have that old b&w steam-powered monitor! :rolleyes:

Wayne

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
I was going to agree with CRed, but now I'm not so sure.

I got the same results as you with IE, Iceweasel (Firefox under Linux), Firefox and Opera, but with Konqueror I have to hover the links with both settings (Konqueror's rendering engine is also used by the Mac Safari browser). Weird.

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
Has anyone mentioned this to the Administrator?

I actually prefer the Classic style, but I've noticed that some people aren't getting the hot links in my posts. I'll try the highlighting trick to see if that works.

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Squidbait said:
Has anyone mentioned this to the Administrator?

I actually prefer the Classic style, but I've noticed that some people aren't getting the hot links in my posts. I'll try the highlighting trick to see if that works.
There's no need to. We are aware of this, and I've mentioned it before. We are hoping anyday now that we will change over to the new server. There will be other changes when that happens and we'll have to wait until the smoke clears to see what needs fixing and what has been fixed. There are a few other minor irritations, but let's hold off. From what I understand, Peter (the owner) is really got his nose to the grindstone getting things set up.

Thanks for letting us know, but as I said in another thread, please have patience, the results will be more than rewarding when we change.

Oh, in the meantime, do like I do, when you post a link, add an underline and italic to the text and it will show up as a link. An easy workaround.:wave:

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
Don, so I take it this is a repetitive question??? One that you've answered before?? In another thread?? Sorry Squidbait, I couldn't help it!!!! Just kidding.......

scubadude

Sep 5, 2006
Richardson, Texas
Oops, I forgot to google it.... "A petard is or rather was, as they have long since fallen out of use, a small engine of war used to blow breaches in gates or walls. They were originally metallic and bell-shaped, but later were cubical wooden boxes. Whatever the shape, the significant feature was that they were full of gunpowder, basically a bomb..."

Hey, you're right, that wasn't so painful....

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Boy, I'm glad we don't have any pets in the house. I wouldn't know whether to blow them up with a petard, or dress them in one. It's not nice to confuse a pet n00b now,is it???.... Or has this been discussed in another thread?sign1 sign1 sign1sign1

Not to worry, I'll go look in the archives, or maybe it's been covered in "technical". :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
I've complained about this same thing. It's annoying, but also not my site...

(The solution is incredibly simple for the admins: just delete the "text-decoration: none;" line from the css part under where it says ".alt1 a:link" at the top of this page.)

Until then, I just underline my links when I type.

Scott

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
ScottyB said:
I've complained about this same thing. It's annoying, but also not my site...

(The solution is incredibly simple for the admins: just delete the "text-decoration: none;" line from the css part under where it says ".alt1 a:link" at the top of this page.)

Until then, I just underline my links when I type.

Scott
Thanks Scott for the tip. It may be a simple change, but we are not about to do anything with the coding right now, since Peter is making all the changes we need off-line and neither me or Mikey are about to go do something that would screw things up. If Peter doesn't correct this when we emerge from the new server, we'll hit him with a list of things that need correction.

Some things show up as white text on gray, such as dates, in the "Gauge New" scheme, that's another problem we are holding back on until this changeover takes place. We are as anxious to have this happen as anyone else here.