is 24" X 48" big enough?

ozzy

is 24" x 48" layout big enough to run 2 or 3 trains in the mountains? i want 2 or 3 trains running on different hights/levels. but NO INCLINES. one train run on the base, one alittle higher. and maybe one higher yet. i want bridges and tunnals and cliffs. i want atleast one coal train, and maybe one running tankers or box cars. but no real long rolling stock. but i like long trains. i know that will be hard to do with this small space tho. maybe a highway run through, but not alot of roads . no buildings to speak of. but maybe a river/stream.

i dont have a plan drawn up yet. but im worried that with it being so small that the curves are going to be to tight to do what i want.

i want to focus on detail thats why so small. i see tent campers, hikers, rock climers, on the mountains and in the woods. and bears and deer. maybe an cabin/shack up on a bluff. maye even a rope bridge to get to it. it will take place in modern day times or maybe anything 1970 to now as far as engines and rolling stock , and cars on the highway.

can anyone come up with a plan for ths? or will i need a bigger space? i will use flextrack.

recap........

1- 24"x48"
2- 2 to 3 trains different levels
3- mountains,bridges, tunnals
4- highway and stream
5- flextrack

Chad

You could have one track inside that... MAYBE two, 11 inch radius and 9 inch radius, but not tighter than that and those will be right on top of each other the whole time around. You could do alot more in a little more space. Take a look at my 30x48 layout, i had to expand to 49.5x31.5. I tried to be as small as possible and still be interesting.

ozzy

i guess i say 24 x 48 as i already have a table setting here ready to go, i made 2 for the O gauge club layout, but so many people wanted to make one that i am just going to use one of them now and let someone put one in its spot. some of the guys that made one hor the HO layout now wants to make an O scale one. and only have so much room in the club.

so i gauss i could go alittle bigger, 30 or 36" wide. maybe adding 2-- 6" "wings" on each side to what i already got made.

Biased turkey

ozzy, that's the layout I have on a 25 " by 36 " ,
A bridge, no problem
A mountain, maybe. A molehill would look better on such a tight space
A tunnel, forget about it, it' ll look toyish
plasticjoiner2.jpg

ozzy

ok, that idea will not work, i will save it for a bigger layout. now im going to do a doodlebug layout. go to a point and back, make another 24 x 48 put them end to end. have 2 towns one at each end of the layout.

Biased turkey

Chad said:
You could have one track inside that... MAYBE two, 11 inch radius and 9 inch radius, but not tighter than that and those will be right on top of each other the whole time around. You could do alot more in a little more space. Take a look at my 30x48 layout, i had to expand to 49.5x31.5. I tried to be as small as possible and still be interesting.

Chad, where is the link ?