Introductory

X Sonic

May 2, 2016
Hi everyone, this might sound surprising, but I am new to the forum - I'll bet you didn't expect to find a new member here in the introduction section! Ha, ha.

Seriously, I like building many types of models, but over the last 10 years or so I have been mostly building real space, and mostly paper. I do build some other types of things, but I reached a point where I have no more display space in my house, and as much as I love to build models, there is no place to display them, they would just have to go in storage. So that's kind of sad to build things only to know that you can't enjoy looking at it shortly after it's built up. Because of that, I have to plan carefully before I start a new project to make sure that there is some place that it will fit - an odd space on a book shelf, on my desk at work, perhaps on top of a cabinet...?

That said, when I build a model my goal is to end up with something that is visually appealing to me and that I will enjoy looking at. So sometimes I cheat a little and don't stick strictly to paper. For example, if a paper model has complicated paper sphere chemical tanks, I might substitute shiny beads or small balls because I know that I will enjoy looking at that rather than my clumsy paper somewhat-spheres. I'm sorry if that is heretical, but since I normally just build for myself I want to end up with something that brings me enjoyment and inspiration to look at.

One of my favorite things about building models is trying new techniques, and also experimenting with new materials, new kinds of paper, and different types of glues! So I'm sure that I will learn alot here.

Reactions: zathros

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to Zealot.

We all have suffered the same affliction of being a newbie at one time or another.;):Computer::hammerhead:I can assure you that that will not last for very long. All of this will become "OLD HAT" before you know it! :lolsign:thumbsup

With all of that being said, we have many members who build "REAL SPACE" models (They are always willing to give you advice or help if asked). So I hope that you feel at home here.

I know the felling of having more models then have space to display them. I would suggest that you donate them to museums, libraries, and schools (especially since you like to build "REAL SPACE" models).

As for using mixed medium (other material than paper) in your builds, there are no rules on this forum that prohibits such. We have many members who will use other materials to add more detail, enhance, and get the desired look and effects that they want their models to have. So by all means, use whatever you wish to do such and post build threads so that we all can see your skills and how you use such materials for such.

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, or need help or advice. Please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help you (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome aboard. I hope that you enjoy yourself here and I look forward to seeing your work.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
There is no cheating in building a model of something you like. When fabricating, the end justifies the means. Welcome to Zealot!! :)