Introduction - plus see my Marx 666

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by simmonds, Feb 22, 2007.

1. simmonds

simmonds Member

Hello this is my first post here on this forum. My name is Chris Simmonds and I live in beautiful Fall Creek, Oregon. I was raised around HO scale model railroading but lost interest in my late teens when girls and cars came into the picture. About ten years ago I started to regain interest in trains and railroading but after visiting a few local train shows my interest shifted to prewar and postwar O gauge locomotives and rolling stock. I love to operate trains more than I like to do scale modeling and I love the toy like appearance of O gauge trains. I am not bothered at all by motors that jerk slightly, o27 curves, sparking center rails and flickering interior lighting...in fact that is what appeals to me most. There is a great sense of nostalgia and excitement at the sight and sound of toy trains running in a somewhat chaotic fashion on a layout strewn with a web of track and switches. Anyway, enough about myself.

I primarily own Lionel trains but my have become interested in Marx trains too after reading some post on this forum. I decided to buy my first Marx train and after seeing a video on youtube from forum member Cannonball and his Marx 666. I bid on and won a similar Marx 666 loco and am hooked on Marx trains now too! This little beast runs like a champ and can smoke any of my Lionel trains right out of the room. I posted a little video on YouTube also and you can see it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDdYiebpL1c

As you can see I don't have a permanent layout yet so I run and test my trains on a temporary loop of Lionel Fastrack on the floor of what will be my train room. I am not a big fan of Fastrack and my permanent layout will use primarily standard Lionel O gauge track.

Anyway, thanks for this great forum and I have enjoyed reading all of your posts. And thanks for turning me on to Marx trains also. Chris
  2. MadHatter

MadHatter Charging at full tilt.

Welcome to The Gauge Chris
  3. simmonds

simmonds Member

Thank you very much MadHatter
  4. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

So your a CB convert that is cool. Nice video but my Lionel will still out smoke the Marx by a mile. I will note it just had a new modern replacement smoke unit to work with the liquid stuff. :)

However the true winner was setting on the sidelines, I suspect it is a girls Williams in the background. Now that I would love to see running.

It is great to have another 0 gauge 3R aboard. ;)
  5. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

WooHoo! I'm a trendsetter! :D

Welcome to the board, Chris. :wave:
    That's a great looking 666 and you've got her really smokin'! :cool:
    What are you using for smoke?
  6. Dave Farquhar

Dave Farquhar Member

It's always good to see someone discovering the magic of Marx. Welcome, Chris!
  7. simmonds

simmonds Member

Renovo PPR - Yes that is a Williams Girls GG1 set laying off to the side in that video. I will set her on the tracks for a run soon and will take some video of it and post it here. BTW, I would love to see a lionel train that can smoke like that Marx does. My postwar 2026 doesnt create half that much smoke. I would be interested to learn more about the conversion you did.

Cannonball - Thanks for the welcome and the inspiration :thumb: As for the fluid I am using...I have tried everything I have so far including Lionel fluid, MTH smoke fluid, Some original American Flyer fluid and a copy by Anormal1 and they all worked equally well. In the video however I used some Magiic Somke which is a six ounce bottle made by Department 56 for one of thier smokeing ceramic buildings. A local hardware store that sells Dept 56 recently closed and had a good sale on everything. I bought six bottles of the fluid for 50 cents each :D

Dave Farquhar - Thanks for the welcome. Looks like I found a great forum.

Sorry for the delayed response everyone. I work a swing shift so I will mainly be on this forum after midnight and during the day until 2:00 pm pacific time. So some of my replies might be delayed. I gotta get off this darn swing shift :curse:
  8. Marxed

Marxed Member

HELLO! I'm always glad to see another Marx enthusiast, as you can tell by my name and avatar, I'm addicted! the 666 is one terrific engine!

nice train btw ;)
  9. simmonds

simmonds Member

Hello Marxed! I think I am becoming addictted too. I love that engine. I want more of them.
  10. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Welcome Chris,

That engine smokes like my MTH engines! :)

I'm into modern stuff, but 50s style trains. I like everything that runs on rails from N to full size. There seems to be a growing interest in Marx trains. I see you have found Williams products. For conventionaly controlled trains they are hard to beat for quallity.

Enjoy your trains,
  11. simmonds

simmonds Member

John, I am into modern stuff too. But I am also into prewar and postwar items as well. So far in modern production items I like Williams the best. The quality and durablily seems first rate...like lionel used to be. I must say though, with some of the older postwar trains from Marx and Lionel selling as cheap as you can get them on eBay these days, I simply cannot resist adding these great AMERICAN made trains to my fleet. Chris