Intro

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
That is also a way of doing it:).

It is also possible in Adobe Reader to print current view. That way you can print some parts that would fit on one sheet but "poster" setting split them (mandibles from your first photo for example).

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Ok, I've downloaded the new and updated templates for the Millennium Falcon from Sunichi's site and I have checked the upscaling at 285%. Im not sure how to work out what scale that is but the model will be around 2 and a half feet long I think. Preliminary work shall commence once I have finished the shuttle project.

@Cybergrinder ....erm, no... I don't have the space.
I have a very patient wife though.:animated:

@bigpetr thank you for the explanation, It was very helpful. :bowdown:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
In general, if

1:CurrentScales
is current scale and
percentage is percentage of upscale or downscale then

NewScale = (CurrentScale×100)÷percentage

In your case original scale is 1:100 so Currentscale is 100, percentage is 285. NewScale = (100x100)/285 = cca 35

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
On the left is Sunichi's falcon cockpit nose at 285%. On the right is Uhu02's cockpit nose scaled down to 34%. Not a bad match for someone who's not sure what he's doing with scaling.

I'm thinking I might be putting a detailed cockpit in. :laughrolling:20170817_180309.jpg

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
That's awesome @bigpetr Thank you.

As a side note, I've been thinking about those gun turrets. I may be able to utilise some of uhu's cockpit parts to make them. That'll be interesting.

Reactions: bigpetr

xaero892

Mad Modeller
Jun 10, 2016
Chichester
Quick mock up of both cockpit outer walls for scale check. It turns out that Uhu's files need to be at 39% to fit perfectly. (The one in the pics is 40% and there is a small gap).

I think this might work.

Admins:
Although I'm not starting the Falcon until my current model is finished, should I start a build thread instead of posting these updates here?
If so, how do I go about it?
Thanks.
20170818_161445.jpg 20170818_161452.jpg

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
YEP! Do it! :cool:

... (puzzled looks, scratching heads: Well, what does he mean??? What the heck shall I do??? ) ...

:D:D:D

OK, this is the deal:

Go to the SciFi section:

http://www.zealot.com/forums/science-fiction-fantasy.396/

Click "Post new thread", fill in the blanks and you are ready to go! ;) Since you are the thread starter you are the master of it. You decide when you post an update and you decide the pace of the project. So you may go ahead and post what you have already done and then let the updates happen as soon as they are ready. :)

As for rescaling the parts: I highly do not recommend using the snapshot tool because that will only lead to frustration. I'll explain: If you copy something from your screen the image is saved in your standard screen resolution (about 72 to 96 dpi or so, depending on your machine's specs). That means the copy will look extremely bad in the first place. Then you will need a graphic program to paste the screenshot and print it. However, if you use Gimp, for example, the picture is pasted in Gimp's standard resolution (72 dpi). If your screen res is 96 dpi, the image is printed too big if you don't resize the image before. In addition, the display value of a document is not the real value: If you display a document at 100 % in Acrobat and hold a 1:1 print of the page beside your monitor, you will see that the displayed image is a tad larger than the print. Just a note. If you have already discovered the percentage to print out UHU's parts to get a pleasing result, then proceed with that. I may do a tut on that to ... well, "display" the differences..! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing your build thread! :)

Last edited:

bigpetr

Designer/Master Modeler
Jan 27, 2016
Czech Republic
I mean Snapshot tool in Acrobat Reader (in Edit menu), not screen snapshot. This snapshot tool saves the bitmap to the clipboard but you will not use that and can ignore it. Instead you go to print dialog of adobe reader where it is automaticly set to print snapshot. It is not dependant on screen resolution. It takes original document resolution when original document contains bitmaps or it works directly with vectors when original document is vector graphic.

In this case source file is vector graphic so it upscale with no problem without quality loss. I have tried it and it works.

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Ohhhh, I did not know that this was possible! I really was thinking of taking screenshots and printing them... SORRY - and thanks for the lesson! :)