intro

shortlineflyer

Jun 7, 2017
Hello, I am shorty, I go by alot of names. I started doing papercraft last month and I have definitely caught the bug. I started with a couple models from FFVII but they were too difficult because they were fairly small so I started a bigger model which is in progress. I decided to make the 50 CM Starfox and have been having a blast. It is probaly not a beginner model but i have always been stubborn when it comes to starting with easy models and my other hobbies.

I am trying to understand how some of UHU02's models are assembled. I have seen his instruction pages but they skip steps because thats the nature of still photos. For example, on the Mk. II Viper there are no tabs to glue. how do these parts attach to the frame. Do you use just one paper weight or do you use different weights as needed. in the instructions, it looks like he uses card stock but I am not sure. Also, I noticed on UHU02's website, that his models are numbered. There are a few numbers missing, does anyone know what the missing models were?

Thank you,
Shorty

Last edited by a moderator:

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Hi Shorty,

welcome to the forum! :)

What you wrote sounds very interesting. I'd love to see some pictures of your work. We looove pictures. :)

I have added your queries you have posted in the UHU02 appreciation thread to your first post because this is a better place to ask these questions.

OK, to answer your first question: This procedure is called "edge-glueing". This is done by putting some glue to the edge of the part, let it dry a bit and then press it to the corresponding part. This gives you a completely sharp edge. A glue tab has one major disadvantage: It doubles the thickness of the part / glue spot. That leads to deformations which add on and on and on. When you have a part which demands absolute accuracy and tight tolerances these deformations cause warping and will make the part look bad. Some may even say that you should completely cut off the tabs on all of your model parts in order to achieve a flawless result because of that, however, that is completely up to you. You may check out the numerous build threads here on zealot and search for "edge-glueing", I think there are some step-by-step posts here (maybe even by me ;) ). :)

The paper weights are sometimes stated in the instructions and can be revealed when you use google translator. Basically, paper weight is not that important. It is the thickness of the paper that can make a difference. UHU02 mostly works with 0.2 mm thick paper.

As for missing numbers, I must confess, I haven't noticed that and can't say anything about it.

:)

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Welcome to Zealot. Read the Rules regarding UHU. Not all of his models are available. I encourage people to build models and cut off the tabs. Use strips of paper on the inside of the surface to connect the next surface. This keeps the parts of the same plane, and minimizes lines formed by the tabs not aligning the edges properly. This is the methodology used by more advanced modelers. Tabs make for mediocre models. They can be used effectively, but by the time you go through all the trouble, you will have found that making a glue strip out of scrap paper is better. As far as card stock, that takes common sense, thinner stuff for outer surfaces, thicker for structural, laminated for even more structural, up to 1 mm card stock on some models. 67 lb., skins, 110 lb. framing, and laminating, 1 mm for ship or hull formers., as a guide. Don't use Elmer's glue, use UHU or Alene's. Michael's Craft Stores has a good selection. I like UHU Brand glue, and ZIP DRY, for heavy duty holds.

Welcome to Zealot. ;)

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
Jun 12, 2009
Oregon
www.deviantart.com
Hello and welcome to Zealot. You have come to the right place for all things all "SCIENCE-FICTION".
By all means, please post photos of your work. We love to see photos of the work of new members! :yesyes:

If you have any questions, comments, concerns, need help or advice, please feel free to ask and we will do what we can to help yuo (or at least point you in the right direction).

Once again, welcome. aboard. I am looking forward to seeing your work.