InterUrben, resistance was futile! Traction is addictive...

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
After seeing the Traction in Action group at the ML2003, I have become smitten...

So these questions goes out to InterUrben and any other traction modelers out in Gauge-Land....

Where can I get brass rod cheap in the Toronto Ontario area?

Also, one of the other local On30 Moduleers is into traction as well, but he's going to stick with trolley poles instead of pantographs.

So I need a source for overhead wire hangers and frogs.

A supply of pantographs, trolley pole bases and pick-up wheels and/or shoes too...

interurban

Aug 21, 2002
Pickering. Ontario. Canada.
Visit site
he he he he we cast our spell and bring them in he he he.

Good for you Ron.
Most good hobby stores carry brass for the constuction of support poles.
What gauge are you and friend thinking of working in with Traction?????????
I will get back to you with addressess for the trolly pole requiments, as we are meeting in an hour to work on the said layout.:D :D ;) :p

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I think you will find that there is tons of stuff available in O scale for the traction/trolley modeller.
Chicoland Hobby, on Northwest Highway in Chicago, has always carried a large assortment of O scale traction parts, I have to agree with Val, there IS tons of stuff.
Pete

pjb

Dec 21, 2000
Visit site
East Penn's Proto and Model Electric Transit Links

The EAST PENN modellers links are about as good as it gets around this continent.
They are : < http:www.eastpenn.org/links.html/ >

'O' scale traction is a much stronger , and larger segment , relatively speaking , than their sister scalers in steam railroading .

This is because of the relatively tight curves of trolley operations, that allow smaller spaces to be used for a layout . It also reflects the wide availability of Corgi's diecast (and low priced ) PCCs . Taken with the presence of the St.Petersburg Trolley Museums (Russia) staff shops manufacture of low cost, quality trams it makes 'O' scale trolley modelling much cheaper than 'O' scale freight railroading . They produce runs of a hundred or so prototype livery cars of various non Russian prototypes for sale around the world.
MTH's cheap set of IRT cars is another example of the low cost for entering the hobby.

'HO' has a number of adherents in the juice set, but occupies a smaller portion of that scale's followers in North America than the steam freight modellers. This is not true in Europe, and Japan.

They have a vast rail passemger traffic of all kinds, so there is widespread electrification using all types of traction equipment. That means that most of the available mass produced equipment is from those areas:- and Bowser, Bachmann , and IHC are main mass producers of U.S. trolley equipt.

However, makers in Australia and Europe also make prototypes (notably Brill built cars ) that were analogous to cars that ran in Canada and the U.S. You mentioned 'O' so there is no point in going into the ramifications of smaller scale traction which on a worldwide basis has lots of equipment produced in 'OO', 'TT', and 'N' scales, as well as the two discussed here.

TinGoat

Ignorant know it all
Hook Line and Sinker...

Originally posted by interurben
Most good hobby stores carry brass for the constuction of support poles.

I know that most hobby shops and hardware stores carry brass stock. It's just a little pricey...

For O scale poles, 3/16" and 1/4" brass rod at Rona runs nearly $6 CAD for 3' lengths! That can add up when you need a couple dozen poles...

I need to find an alternative to the brass, or a cheaper source. Maybe a welding supplier.. I'll have to pull out the Yellow Pages and start calling around.

Originally posted by interurben
What gauge are you and friend thinking of working in with Traction?????????

You need to ask?! LOL!!!

On30 of course!

I know that you use the pantographs for the Traction in action. If I was going it alone, I'd go the same route.

But there is the nice little Bachmann On30 Trolley....

Paul and I will be kitbashing and scratchbuilding a lot of freelanced On30 Traction for both passenger and freight service.

Paul's rational for sticking with the trolley poles instead of pantographs is to follow prototypical practice. Low budget short lines and industrial railroads couldn't afford the heavy-duty overhead needed to withstand the pressure and wear and tear of pantographs. So they went with the less expensive trolley poles and light weight overhead. We won't be operating any high speed equipment either. No Acela or Ice trains here...

Just home built narrow gauge work horsed hauling ore from the mine...

I took a look at the Urban Scene - Scratchbuilding Traction Poles - By Chris (Traction Nut) Walker And I have been taking careful notes.

I've also been collecting some other how-to material on the subject of hanging overhead.

Originally posted by spitefire
Very cool Ron. I think you will find that there is tons of stuff available in O scale for the traction/trolley modeller. Being a committed HOer I'm totally jealous! Here are a couple of links to get you going.

Val, thanks for the links... Come over to the dark side... Hee, hee, hee... On30 traction gives you the best of both worlds.

Sumpter250, I have seen a lot of talk about how the HO stuff tends to be oversized. It's good to know that there is a good supply of O scale traction parts. I may use HO scale stuff anyway. Since it is oversized for HO, it should be just right for On30... Unfortunatly, Chicoland Hobby, on Northwest Highway in Chicago is a little out of the way for me...

PJB, the EAST PENN website is very cool. I printed out the module standards to read. I am interested in how they work the overhead on modules, since that's where I'm putting mine.