InternetTrains.com??

Jim Krause

Apr 7, 2005
Polson, MT
I've ordered a couple of items with no problem. Had a problem with UPS delivery but that wasn't the fault of Internet Trains. Looked like somebody closed the roll up door on the van on my package of track. No problem getting it replaced.

andywyeth07

Aug 8, 2006
Mt. Gilead Ohio
maybe it is.. on the email they sent me it says it takes 5-7 days to leave the place and then another 3-5 to get here. i just thought it was weird it takes so long to ship

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

After waiting for a month for an order I placed, I thought it was time to cancel. I went to Walthers and had my stuff in less than a week. I figured a couple of pennies price difference wasn't worth the wait.

Gus (LC&P).

Dick Elmore

Aug 22, 2003
Central Illinois
Visit site
:curse: I ordered a couple of items from them the 3rd of July and cancelled the order about 4 days later when I found out they weren't available. After 5 phone calls and a bunch of promises from them, I finally recieved my refund day before yesterday. I won't order from them again!!!

Dick
Texas chief

Bill54

May 2, 2006
Northern Virginia
I have placed three orders with Internet Trains. The first one was for over $400. They had problems getting all the items, so after more than a month of waiting I cancelled the order with them and ordered from Discount Model Trains. I got the entire order in two weeks.

The second order I had the same problem. They couldn't get all the items so after three weeks I had them ship what they had and cancelled the remainder. The order made it to me within a week.

I currently have an order with them that was placed on 7 August. I have only received one email saying they received my order but nothing saying when it is expected to be shipped.

They were suppose to have revamped their system to show only items that are available. The problem is, they do not stock anything. They rely on their distributors listings to show available items. That means the item may be available but is currently out of stock. So what Internet Trains does is waits for your entire order to be completed before shipping it instead of informing you that some of the items you ordered are out of stock.

I only order from them when I cannot find what I'm looking for elsewhere. I suggest not using them unless they are the only place that has what you need.

Bill

thumsup

Jun 14, 2005
Anaheim, California
I ordered from them on Sept. 20. Their web site showed all four items as available. Today it shows two items on order. They ran my CC the day of the order that doesn't seem right to me so I won't be ordering from them again.

2slim

Jan 16, 2004
Murray, UT
Visit site
I have ordered a few things from them, but it's a crap-shoot as to what's advertised vs what's in stock! I order mostly from Wholesale Trains as the prices are much better. One thing I like about Wholesale Trains is you can see your order history if you log in as a member, (it's free IIRC).

2slim

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
Discounttrainsonline is the same way. The site looks like their inventory is enormous, but I wouldn't be surprised if 75% of the stuff is ordered as needed. The ship times are based on the estimated time it *usually* takes them to get the item from the manufacture, repackaged for an order, and shipped to the buyer.

I've ordered a few times from both sites, mainly track, because it's cheap. I ordered a bunch of n-scale rolling stock about 2 years ago drom DTO too. Orders on average took 2 weeks to get to me (1 week to process, 1 week in shipping). As long as you can hold out and wait, you can save some $$ with 'em.

I'll probably order from them again for my HO layout next year.

My Scenic Ridge kit came from wholesaletrains as well. It was listed as "ships in 24 hours" items, but didn't ship for about 4 days. But in the end I save about $60 over retail and other online places. So the wait was worth it, even though it killed me :)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I have ordered with DTO too and I have to say that it was a better experience, maybe because that order was almost $500. But it did take 2 weeks for the order to get it to me but I paid via personal check so it was about the same time as Shaun.

The internet trains order that I placed was good but I do remember talking on the phone with them having to substitute a couple of items. That was kinda a let down because if you order something that is listed and does not say anything about it being "out of stock" it is kinda like they are not very professional.

I guess I would order from internet trains again but I would not place a big order with them, only an item that I could not get through , DTO, Walthers, or my LHS.

TexDoc

Aug 20, 2006
Corpus Christi, TX
I have stopped considering this dealer. I have ordered several time in the past year and finally cancelled the last order since it was taking so long to fill. I ordered the next day (afther a month waithing for Internet Trains to fill) from ScenicExpress and had the items in 3 days. This is typical. I believe that most items you order from Internet trains are not on hand and after you order an they get around to processing your order (can take days to weeks) they then order from Walthers or whoever. Not a quick turnaround like Neal's or Feather River or Wig-Wag or a dozen others.
I will not order from Internet Trains ever again. Just don't have time to wait forever for an order.
Doc