Internal Supports, etc

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Shipbuilder, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder New Member

8) Hope no one minds another question from a noobie but I am currently beginning work on the DN Admirable and I have seen some tutorials, etc on this and I didn't see something mentioned I have a question about. Whenever I see pictures of ships, large planes, etc that people are working on they show brackets and internal supports. This seems obvious to me as anything built has to have a foundation. I am just wondering what is best to use to hold up the decks/superstructure, etc. How do you decide what product to use, is there a set pattern that people use when they are doing ships, planes,etc that you know will provide the necessary support, and how do you know what you have done will work. I would hate to build this and then have it collapse on me. Right now ships and planes are my interest so that's what I am concentrating on and I'm trying to do these right. Thanks in advance for any ideas.
  2. barry

barry Active Member

Ship frames

Hi

If you are building Admirable I seem to remember DN uses 1mm card to back the internal formers and they are adequate actually thick card (200 gsm)and a Cornflake packet work quite well especially for decks.

Hope this is what you meant

barry
  3. John Griffin

John Griffin Member

Formers

I save cereal boxes for my formers; they come in various weights, and they're cheap and plentiful. In most aircraft models you will be surprised at how much extra stiffness is added just by the actual 'skin' of the model when it is rolled around the formers.
  4. shrike

shrike Guest

Your best clue if it's not spelled out in the instructions is to look at the size of the slots where formers cross or meet.
    Beware tho' sometimes designers use more than one thickness and aren't always clear about which is which !
  5. Larry Marshall

Larry Marshall Member

If I understand your msg, the structure you're seeing others use are part of the kits they're building. In the case of the Admirable, those are the 'white' pieces on the sheet that has the deck and sides of the ship.

These should be MUCH thicker than the surfacing/finish pieces. How thick is dependent upon the kit. Take a look at part 4 on that sheet. There is a notch in it. THAT is the thickness you should use to make all those pieces.

Typically people will print on their normal cardstock and then glue that to thick cardboard (as Barry has suggested) or create thickened cardstock by laminating several layers together. Then the printed pieces are glue to that and cut out. I prefer this method as the thickness is easy to control (each sheet of cardstock is .008-.009" thick) and the lamination stiffens the resultant pieces.

Hope this helps.

Cheers --- Larry
  6. barry

barry Active Member

Hulls only

Should have said be prepared to take a sheet of sand paper to the frames to get a good fit on the curves, add thin paper gluing strips to the edges. Glue top and bottom only if you can get away with on the sides. Best of all read Christoph's building methods on Kartonist.de.
  7. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder New Member

I appreciate the feedback on this and after relooking over the Admirable I feel a little better about this. barry, I took your advice and registered at Kartonist.de so I could read about Christoph's building methods and registered in English but everything is coming up in another language except some of the headers. Now if they were in Spanish I might have a chance so is there some way to see everything in English or am I just out of luck. Either way, thanks a bunch for the input.
  8. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder New Member

I appreciate the feedback on this and after relooking over the Admirable I feel a little better about this. barry, I took your advice and registered at Kartonist.de so I could read about Christoph's building methods and registered in English but everything is coming up in another language except some of the headers. Now if they were in Spanish I might have a chance so is there some way to see everything in English or am I just out of luck. Either way, thanks a bunch for the input.
  9. barry

barry Active Member

Translation

Most of the comments are fairly simple try using translate page from "Google Toolbar" works pretty good on that site.

barry
  10. barry

barry Active Member

Translation

Most of the comments are fairly simple try using translate page from "Google Toolbar" works pretty good on that site.

barry