intermodel cars freebies

D&Hp-burgh

Feb 7, 2007
Went to the lhs to get some intermodel cars, $5 to $10 a piece, looking for 25-30 ish, NOT going to happen! Surfed the net and found 2 sites that might be of interest to those of you that also are looking for containers.

http://home.wanadoo.nl/schatborn/index2.html This guy has containers and Trailers
hundreds of overseas stuff and a good chunk of american as well. Only thing I don't like about them is that he doesn't outline bottoms - but you can figure that out yourself easily.

http://www.igshansa.de/igsorg.html - This guys containers ROCK !!! print on cardstock, cut, glue, DONE ( use slide menu on left to scroll down to DOWNLOADS ENGLISH)

Have fun:wave:

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
I made several of these from Norbtach's pages about a year ago. It is nice because they already have a weathered look to them. I will probably have to redo them soon as they are getting pretty beat up. I also learned how to make my own so I made domestic sized containers. Unfortunately, our tunnel module was made by a Canadian, so domestic containers do not fit through it. :-D International ones fit just fine. I took the graphics and combined them into one to make the double stacks.

Attachments

• containers.jpg
    containers.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 42

Denyons

Nov 2, 2006
Sherwood Park,Alberta, Canada
Containers

Thanks for the link...
I can see that I am going to be making lots of containers for my port.
Just wondering if it would be good to just print them on ordiary paper and then glue onto some thin styrene?

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
Jesso, are those all paper containers? They look great man, i should have printed more. Too bad not many choices in N scale.

darkcurves

Feb 5, 2007
Sorry for double post, i cant seem to edit my previous post. Just found out that if you reduce the HO scale PDF files to 54%, you can get close to N scale.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
All of my containers are cardstock paper and they all came from the first link. The graphics have to be worked more on Norbtach's than on the other one, but that was actually better for me the way I did them. Norbtach has a much bigger selection of containers, and I wanted to have as many colors as I could on my trains.

HOtrainman

Jan 15, 2007
McKinney, TX
I have had a problem. I made some, but they are a little shorter than the appropriate HO scale length size. How could you make them the correct size?

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
If they are the HO pdf ones, make sure that when you print that the computer doesn't adjust the size of the pdf for the print margins. If you are doing the graphics ones, you will have to make the calculations and resize accordingly. Admittedly, I have only printed out N scale ones so I don't know if the HO ones are incorrectly sized.

COMBAT

Oct 28, 2006
Phoenix
They are incorrect as far as comparing them to the plastic containers you buy at the LHS. :)

I use them, just not next to each other and the human eye cant tell. :)

I'm not sweating it! :)

HOtrainman

Jan 15, 2007
McKinney, TX
thnx for the help. I took off the margins, but didn't work. I can just put the behind in the back area i guess. I found out, because I don't have cardstock at the moment, if you print on regular paper, put together, and glue(white glue) strips of paper on the inside, the glue hardens as well as the paper/container. I am trying something new where I print the containers on paper, then glue a sheet of paper over the design, cut out, and make containers. I will get back on when I find out the results.

Uintah Dave

Jan 16, 2007
Winnemucca, NV
I printed some of the containers on regular printer paper, folded them up and slid them over a box built out of .020 styrene. It worked great. Not nessesarily something that will pass up close inspection but with the three foot rule they are ok.