Intermodal ship

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by plbab, Dec 28, 2002.

1. plbab

plbab Member

Anybody out here have a intermodal terminal on there layout? If so do you have a container ship also? If you do where did you get the ship? Are there plans to build a ship ? This is in N scale. Paul
  2. Drew1125

Drew1125 Active Member

I know there was a thread a few months back in the Scratchin' & Bashin' forum on scratch building a container ship, & I think it was N scale...try a search for "container ship".
  3. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

I feel so ignorant... what is "Intermodal"? at the mention of a ship, I guess it must be to do with containers.

Errol
  4. K.V.Div

K.V.Div Member

Intermodal is indeed containers and is how most freight is shipped today.
    And no need to apologize about being "Ignorant" as it is a valid question and you learn by asking.
    Besides, if everyone knew everything, then there would be no need for excellent forums such as the Gauge;)
    Have a great one and Cheers!

Terry
  5. kettlestack

kettlestack Member

Thanks Terry, Over here we just call them container freight. Intermodal, when I first heard the expression, made me think of something like leasing rolling stock.

Anyways, containers are way too modern for my taste, hehehe, I like to see mixtures of freight on flat cars and gondos (ie, eode stuff and such :D :D )

Errol
  6. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Errol,

"Intermodal" simply means that the freight (usually containers, but also road trailers) can be interchanged between different "modes" of transport, eg road, rail or ship.

Containers are the most obvious example with international standards governing the location of attaching points etc so that, wherever they are in the world, containers can be loaded on ships, trucks or trains. Thus, an "intermodal" terminal such as I am building on my NTRAK module is designed for the transfer of containers between "modes" - road to rail, rail to ship, etc.

Paul,

I wanted to have a container wharf on my NTRAK module but obviously, at full scale size, I couldn't include a container ship (it would have been longer than my entire module!).

I decided to incorporate a "marine" flavour by putting a Noch barge alongside the wharf and loading it with containers. Not exactly prototypical but something you may consider. (I have yet to weather it and build some sort of loading crane/s)

Attached Files:

7. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Paul,

Here is another idea. Use a "low relief" ship up against the backdrop. This photo I took of an HO layout here in Perth Western Australia (not mine) might give you some inspiration.

Attached Files:

8. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Here's another angle:-

Attached Files:

9. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Paul,

Here is another good on-line resource if you are interested in N-scale intermodal:-

http://www.nvntrak.org/modules/cmt.php

It has some images of an N-scale container ship and container crane both scratchbuilt by Bernard Kempinski for his "Chase Marine Terminal". Excellent work!
  10. plbab

plbab Member

Gavin, I have been to the Chase Marine web site he did a excellent job. I like the idea of your Noch barge. A ship even in N scale would dwarf any layout i think. Where did you get the plans for the barge? Thanks Paul
  11. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Paul,

The barge is a plastic model produced by the German manufacturer "Noch" in three different versions. Available through Walthers (or was) - product numbers 528-35720, 35730 and 35740.
  12. TR-Flyer

TR-Flyer Member

Hi:
    This looks like a good opportunity for those of you who are talented painters or photographers to extend the "3d model" into the backdrop using one of those mediums.
  13. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Kato has a container ship- RTR/F

Go to-

www.katousa.com

They have a container ship Ready to run/float?

Obviuosly use the N-Scale link. It looks pretty kewl~~~~~~

Mark
  14. WM-N-fan

WM-N-fan Member

several large barges pop up on ebay (coal, grain, container)
  15. MCL_RDG

MCL_RDG Member

Well, I don't know where the Kato...

Well, I don't know where the Kato container ship is on their site but I know they have/had one.

Here's a pic I snatched just a few weeks weeks ago-

You may have to order it on-line from one of the suppliers or check your local hobby shop and see if the can get it, oe ebay, etc.

Mark

Attached Files:

16. plbab

plbab Member

Could not find anything on Kato's site. Thanks for the info. Paul
  17. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

Paul,

"SEARAILS" of Box 366, Valley Ford, CA 94972 who produce a range of model ships for model railroaders do a rather nice container ship, the C8.

It is 30" long and 5.5" wide. Price $295.

You can email them at: shadow@theguild.com

They sent me a nice colour catalog in PDF format.

Gavin
  18. Gavin Miller

Gavin Miller Member

"SEARAILS" are also releasing container cranes for loading their model container ship (which you can see in the background)

Gavin

Attached Files: