Interiior building lighting

eddie

Oct 2, 2006
I would like to install an intreior light in some buildings (train station). I am using ) scale. I'd apprediate any recommendations on how to provide lighting. I don't know what bulbs to use, where to get them, if I should use the train transformer or a seperate transformer, et c. Thanks!

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Eddie,

I'm not sure for O scale, what size, or voltage globes would be best, but I made the mistake (HO scale), in the first few buildings I did, of not positioning the globe properly. Don't just drill a hole in the floor and poke the globe through. The light beams through the windows goes "UP", and you can see the globe on the "floor" when looking through the windows. For the light to light up the outside "ground", as it would in reality, don't forget to place the globe at "ceiling" height inside the building, and point the globe downwards. The wiring should also go through the roof/ceiling as well.

Hope this helps. :) :wave:

eddie

Oct 2, 2006
great - now I wonder if i should use an led and where what do i buy. maybe there ar lights thst run off ac 16 volts?

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
eddie said:
great - now I wonder if i should use an led and where what do i buy. maybe there ar lights thst run off ac 16 volts?

LEDs are generally not very useful for interior structure lighting. Unlike a regular bulb which glows in all directions, and LED has a fairly focused beam without using a reflector. LEDs make great headlights because of this, but give very uneven light over an area, such as passenger car and structure interiors.

my thoughts, your choices