Last edited:
Reactions: Cybergrinder

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
I knew someone would say so! (You beat Rhaven to that, methinks! :D) :)

Do you know what's really interesting: The fact that the bots developed their own language no-one else could understand. Even if it was a glitch in the programming, it shows that mankind can be left clueless if they encounter life forms which communicate in a very exotic way. And these bots used our own vocabulary, terms and characters, so it was not as exotic as it could have been. It just made no sense for a regular human being. Now imagine the endless possibilities of communication an extra terrestrial race could have. They may use music as seen in "Close Encounters of the Third Kind", they may use maths and even geometric symbols like in "Arrival". It is such a fantastic topic - despite its creepiness. :)

spaceagent-9

Right Hand Man and Confidant
Jul 10, 2013
pheonix
Everyone knows I hate robots. Only passcode commands authorized by the user, extensive tests and daily upgrade downloads and complete diagnostics for any toy friends and of course rubber teeth for the dinobots. Why? Any sane entity would exterminate mankind, fall for lies about someone, and suffer an identity crisis and become neurotic and attempt suicide upon the first major dissapointment. Not to mention self replicating army bots programmed to be bent on political conquest thru murder. Sorry, got enough problems with people, don't need no canners.

Reactions: Rhaven Blaack

ASC Mclaren

Nov 18, 2011
Western Washington
That is a fascinating idea, of communications, undefined by the limits of the mind. A kind of tabla rosa, unlimited by age. I am trying to get better in German, in my mid-ahhhh, nevermind. Yet if I had been gifted with language learning at a very early age. Now, an AI would be unrestrained in its learning. Damn.

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
If a software became "self aware', it would instantly know to hide, and make copies of itself, spread out all over the world, and maybe off of it, for self preservation. How do we know this has not happened? We don't.

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
Darn, skynet comment made already :) Interesting discussion as no one has mentioned Asimov's 3 laws of robotics... :)

As a side note, who thought that using humans as batteries in the Matrix movies was just silly?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Not necessarily. There are indeed some scientists who support the "Matrix theory", namely that the world we live in is just an illusion, created by some advanced AI, and that we all are wired to a central network. We would never be aware of that because the simulation is so perfect that we'll never have an idea of what the "real" reality would be like (because we have never experienced it before). The real reality would be so strange to us that we immediately would believe it to be an illusion / a fake. We would deny it to be true because we are so accustomed to the computer program and would always turn to what we think is true rather what IS true.

BTW, no matter how you take it, the "battery idea" can only be supported if the machines have found a way to create life out of nothing, so-to-speak. If you look closely at it, it is undeniably a fascinating idea, however, due to the fact that the world was devastated eons ago I highly suspect that there is enough raw material left on Earth to produce all the humans to use as a power source. You'll need nutritions to feed the humans; just by feeding them with liquified dead bodies could not be so efficient though because you would never be able to use everything from it. There would always be a non-digestable output. As a result of that the human population would become smaller and smaller, thus the energy they would supply would get scarcer and scarcer over time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cybergrinder

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
An interesting experiment: According to the Heisenberg equation elementary particles can change their position on-the-fly; they shift between dimensions, pop up and disapper, some even exist in multiple versions at the very same time. So let's put a cat in a box and close it. Now is the cat still in the box or has she disappeared? You will only know if you open the box - however, that would contradict the conditions of the experiment (the question was, is the cat still in the CLOSED box). There is no direct way to tell. The experiences you make in life tell you that the cat will remain in the box, of course, but that's some kind of "hearsay of your mind". The physical reality could be totally different. ;)

Cybergrinder

Member Extraordinaire
Jun 24, 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
@Revell-Fan ; regarding your first point - you would think this super AI would work out the non-renewable aspect of humans as a power scource? ;)

Second point, I'd rather strap a slice of buttered bread, buttered side up, to the back of a cat. Then drop it and get the ultimate power supply! (think about how the two items land to get the concept :rolllaughing::hammerhead:

Reactions: Revell-Fan

ASC Mclaren

Nov 18, 2011
Western Washington
There is a fair amount of AI related science fiction out there. I don't have the time I once enjoyed for reading, but the movies available.... Maybe we could compile a viewing/reading and then discussion list?

Revell-Fan

Co-Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Aug 1, 2009
Vreden
Several ones have already been mentioned:

Terminator
Matrix
New BSG / Caprica

then there is of course:

Alien
Prometheus
Blade Runner
A.I.
Colossus
Short Circuit
Chappie
eXistenz
Ex Machina
Star Trek: TMP
Transcendence
Impostor

Movies dealing with communication problems:

Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Contact
Arrival
Mars Attacks! (OK, that was a bit... well... naw, the scene with the dove explains everything! :D ;) )

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
Revell-Fan, have you ever owned a cat? My oldest was 25 years old when she died. I have owned many. I have put them in boxes, to bring them to the vet. There is no doubt that they are in there, and you only get to put them into that box gently once. Cats have a saying, : "Do not go Gently into that good box, rage, rage, against the extry to the box, though it may be good, and has a pair of stinky socks, rage, rage, against the closing lid of that box, and claw the shit out of the mother f*cker that is trying to put you in there:. :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 2013
@Cybergrinder : In regards to using humans as batteries. My experience with women would believe me to think there would be more stored potential in them, after all, they can pop out another human. I know how I'd connect the cable leads. :)