Interesting article....anyone else find any holes in the research?

zwave343

the human lazor
May 18, 2011
in a bees nest
not clearly, but just annoying. clap clap for tanaka, but he aint no god. i was bored sh!@less by the end of the first page. so what are the holes?

ARMORMAN

FOUNDATION CORNERSTONE
Oct 2, 2009
NW Indiana
armorman.deviantart.com
The oldest "toy" I have is a repro of the U.S.S. America from an 1889 issue of the Philadelphia Enquirer. I also have numerous toys created by artists from the 20's, 30's, and 40's. While I appreciate and write ups that we can get, this is just shoddy research.

Z

Zathros

What really amazing is that someone could get paid for such a long-winded article, devoid of any really good links or pictures of the subject which is one of those subjects served well by pictures. Bill, you would have done a much better article. You panache for detail amazes me, but I never find you boring, which is something I could not say for that writer. Maybe you should consider sending them a proper article and show them how it's done! :)

ThunderChild

What really amazing is that someone could get paid for such a long-winded article, devoid of any really good links or pictures of the subject which is one of those subjects served well by pictures. Bill, you would have done a much better article. You panache for detail amazes me, but I never find you boring, which is something I could not say for that writer. Maybe you should consider sending them a proper article and show them how it's done! :)

Amen to that! :mrgreen:

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
what amazes me the most is that some of you made it past the first few paragraphs.

Once I got that far my in-built "tosser-alarm" was going bezerk and I couldn't read any further.

I wonder how many models the authour built before (or after) writing the article... I'm guessing none.

Z

Zathros

To be honest, I suffered it out of respect for ARMORMAN. I find it amazing that people get paid to write such trip. Then again, maybe it is good, because I doubt he could get a job doing anything else, and we all have to eat!

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
That's one of the "joys" of the internet... anyone can connect and type up a bunch of tripe and call themselves a journalist of some sort. The problem is there are people out there who will read said tripe and take it as gospel without knowing what they're really missing out on.

Z

Zathros

I think that is one of the problems with this hobby. People say "paper models' think produce some of the worse examples of the Hobby and others think, "Oh, that sucks", and never bother delving into it.

jaffro

Long term member
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yeah I find I always need to make sure I have photo's of my models on my phone to show the people who give me strange looks when I say I make models out of paper... most of them are pretty blown away by what they see cos it is usually nothing like what they were expecting.

snark1950

Dec 26, 2011
Orlando Fl
To me it just looks typical of modern journilism "what can I find quick" any upsirge in paper models I think can be attuributed more to the internet than anything else, with its ease of shareing your creations so other can build and modify.