Interest rekindled

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Hi everybody, it's been a long time since I've posted here with any regularity. I had just had it with the hobby, and I'm still not sure what the problem was. Upon reflection, I think it is that I bit off too much to chew. Abd that I tried to force myself to work on the layout when I wasn't in the mood. It became a bit of an obligation, not a source of relaxation and enjoymrnt. I had set too high a bar for myself quality wise, too. I've found I'm not capable of the kind of results I had pictured in my minds eye. And, over the last several years, my eyesight has deteriorated, so the finer details I had hped for will never happen. My last work on the layout was done for the scratchbuilding contest which ended back in September (I think) And it seemed like the straw that broke my back was the tree I built for that scene. I need a lot of trees, and I can't possibly put as much time into them as I did with that one. Between the choices of good looking trees and mediocre looking trees that can be made in a reasonable amount of time, I choose to do nothing! The layout became a shelf for all kinds of misc. stuff, the basement it is in became cluttered, and then a leak from the bathroom above (no, it did no damage to the layout, it missed it by about a foot!) required taking down some flourescent fixtures, then the ceiling, and I spent a month fixing things that turned out not to be the problem, (repacked faucets, caulked along the shower walls, etc) It tuned out I needed to regrout everything, as even the grout which looked ok was porous. In the meantime, when I went downstairs I was greeted by a hanging 4x8 of paneling, lack of lighting, and clutter. I would see it and just go back upstairs. I have gotten a lot done on my home, however!

So, once the bathroom was done and proven to be leakfree, I reinstalled the ceiling and lighting, and embarked aon a campaign to straighten out the basement. I threw away all kinds of "stuff I can use someday" organized the rest, and most importantly, cleaned and painted the concrete floor, and walls. Yes, I had read that room preperation should be done before layout construction, but I didn't listen. The unpainted floor was a never ending source of dust. The walls which did not have the railroad up against them had never been touched by me, and were dirty dark blue. The basement now i much more attractive, and as I cleared and organized the layout, I found myself wanting to finish this, and that, etc.

I have made some repairs to items which needed attention on the layout, I have a lot more to do. I've worked on equipment that was running well, and that in itself has rekindled my desire to operate. I had a friend over and we ran trains with virtyally no problems, which made me happy. I have a bunch of projects to do, and at least at the moment I feel no pressure to do any of them, I will just pick and choose whatever makes me happy, and if I never finish, that's ok.

I'm going to start a thread in the photo section, Touring the JGL. Please take a look, it may be helpful to those who, like I, plan and start a layout much too large to complete on their own. In my case, I thought I would have two otheres helping, but that never worked out as one moved away early on and the other had other requirements come up for his time. So it has been a solo effort for the most part.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Gary:wave:, GLAD to have you back modeling again!:thumb: i REALLY LOOK FORWARD to seeing your new thread!;) :D -Deano

N

nachoman

Nice to have you back. I think your story is more common than you think. Everyone gets burned out on the things they enjoy from time to time. Right now, I am in a mood where I find a way to do some model railroad work every day. But there have been times when I went a year or more without doing anything. I'll find something else to do and then I lose interest in the trains, until something inspires me again. You have a cool layout - and I look forward to seeing your new pictures.

kevin

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Welcome Back, Gary. I have a "Plywood Pacific" or two in my past, things come up you know. This hobby has always been mine from childhood, a long rest from it only makes it all the better when I turn back to it. Been in a creative funk myself for all the projects I've cranked out in the last couple of years here. The Cabinet project has just made it fresher and given me something else to do that still points to my favorite hobby. Hope to see more of your work...Blessings, BC

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
Glad to hear you're interested in the hobby again Gary. You do such admirable work. Looking at your photos in the other thread I'm reminded of that excllent catenary and other fine scenes you've posted. Best wishes for keeping it FUN!
Ralph

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I have found from time to time I just need a break. Consequently, advancements on my layout seem to be in fits and spurts. I'm getting to the point where there's at least some scenery on the entire layout, so I try to take time just to watch the trains go 'round. I have one major section to do and there won't be any more plywood showing. Unfortunately, I can't decide what to do there. Oh well, the nice weather's coming. I'll have plenty of time to contemplate.:)

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Hi Gary. About that tree: You may have to consider that there are 2 standards: contest quality and layout quality. It's great to do a contest quality model to show what you can do (show yourself, even) but you end up with a model which either is too good to go on the layout where it might get damaged or shows up the rest of the layout. And is contest quality going to take so much time that you never get the layout finished? Maybe you should put your tree (and similar items) in a showcase and use WS trees for the layout.
When one of my eyes fell apart a couple of years ago I halted most of the building part of the hobby. I feel it's settled down now and I'm starting to work on things again.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Hi Gary

I had a friend who just bought everything he could and if something didn't work out or went wrong he just wanted to give up, after about two years of going through that he had financial problems and had to sell the lot, he obviously didn't get near to what he paid for the items- naturally this added fuel to the fire- and he has sadly been "thrown out" of the hobby.

So, my statement to everyone here is that you should not rush into the hobby as with my friend and with Gary, there can be dire results- welcome back, and as you have learnt just take it at a easy pace. And to all, please warn anyone who you see with these simptons of what might happen, what they do afterwards is up to them.

jambo101

Feb 14, 2007
Montreal
Gary i just checked out your link to the layout in the photo section,thats a great layout and you have a real gift/talent at detailing scenery,those trees are the best i;ve ever seen.however the layout is big enough for a small club, i can see where you may get overwhelmed and frustrated at the enormous complexity of the project .
My own experience 20yrs ago with a layout that was just too big (6'x16' in N scale) got me frustrated as it took up too much time,nothing ever really got finished,the wiring was a nightmare and on and on with problems and it ceased to be fun.
Now i have a renewed interest i've learned what i like and what i dont like and will try to stick with the stuff what makes it fun which for me is less wiring,less switches.smaller size(4'x8' max)More scenery and higher quality track and rolling stock.

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Thanks to all for the welcome back and kind words. I was aware at the time of deign that the layout was too big for a one man layout, but was sure that two other members of a club the three of us left would make my layout a new club. Jambo is correct, it is a club sized layout, and was intended to be operated with 7 or 8 people. Instead of going to 7 or 8, I basically went to one! I do get Blake and Jim to come over every couple months.

David, I've come to understand and accept that I will not be able to scenic this layout as contest quality. 10 years ago I think I had that ability, and desire. I did not realize how time consuming it could be. I don't get a lot of time to work on it. I have a bit to say about operating versus building, I will be posting it on the photo thread as it relates to a post by Spitfire there.