Installing sound in an Atlas silver series locomotive

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
Hello!

i wanted to buy an Atlas B40-8 (conrail 5078) before they got discontinued, and the gold series was not only already sold out, but way to expensive for me. Now that i'm looking into sound, can I use the provisions in the locomotive already for sound, or do I need to rework everything? The A-frame speaker mount is there, but the speakers are replaced with weights.

there don't seem to be any upgrade kits, nor does it seem qsi sells their stuff seperately. how would i install sound in this locomotive?

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
Now that I'm looking into sound, can I use the provisions in the locomotive already for sound, or do I need to rework everything? The A-frame speaker mount is there, but the speakers are replaced with weights. how would i install sound in this locomotive?
green_elite_cab, if the speaker mount is there, the circuit board should have two ways to plug a sound decoder into it on the Atlas's. there should be an 8 pin socket, and a 9 pin socket to use. i have installed Loksound in engines setup like you described the inside of yours;):D. with that internal setup, just about ANY sound decoder can be used:thumb:. for me, the Loksound speaker didn't work in the "A frame" that came in the engine. i took the "A frame" out and put the decoder in that spot. i placed the speaker inside the cab. i don't have a B40-8, you might have to extend the speaker wires to do that, NOT a big deal. there are SEVERAL ways to install a sound decoder in Atlas engines, thats just the way i have successfully done it:thumb::D. hope this info might help.:D

green_elite_cab

Keep It Moving!
Apr 4, 2005
Hainesport NJ
I saw the 8 pin socket there, but i'm not sure i saw a nine pin socket. It different from my other atlas locomotives... it has only this tiny circuit board with a dummy 8 pin DCC plug, some random diodes, transitors, and resitors, and 5 with plugs with 2 wires each going to the lights, motors, and wheels.

what was the problem with putting the speakers in the weight's "a frame" thing? it also looks like it was supposed to have 2 speakers. would I just wire them together?

It looks pretty simple, but i just want to make sure i know what i'm talking about, and i dont' blow something up, lol.

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
green_elite_cab, QSI has large thin speakers, Loksounds are not, so in the Atlas models i have put sound in, the "A frame" just didn't work out for the speakers. with other sound decoders it might be fine to use it. sure, i could have ordered a different speaker to fit in the A frame, or if i would have spent alot of time grinding the frame, i could have made it work, but with all the decoders i have put in engines, the way i did it was the quickest easiest(about 15 min) trouble free way:thumb:, just MY opinion:D. the hook up is in the existing circuit board for a sound decoder, believe me, you can put just about ANY sound decoder in it with little trouble. my best advice is, DON'T make the job harder then it has to be. pick a decoder, and go with what you have as far as the size of it and its speaker. were their is a will, their is a way.;)tooth1...GOOD LUCK!:thumb:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
green_elite_cab said:
Would it be possible for me to just find a speaker big and thin, at like radioshack, for example?
green_elite_cab, you might be able to find something like that at radioshack, but I MYSELF, would stick with speakers MEANT to go in sound decoders. FIRST, what sound decoder do you have/want:confused:, if you don't have a sound decoder yet, how do you know the kind you get wont have a speaker that fits in the "a frame":confused: if the speaker does NOT fit in the frame you have mentioned, keep in mind to save you money, that you DO NOT HAVE TO PUT THE SPEAKER IN THEIR. there are SEVERAL places you can put the speaker that will still make the engine SOUND GREAT!, besides in the "A frame";). like i said before, i have a couple Atlas engines with the same inside setup you have described as is in yours, i take out the "A frame" and place the speaker in the cab, I'll bet you dollars to donuts you couldn't tell the sound difference if you didn't know;). IF you feel that you absolutely HAVE TO put the speaker in that spot, MY BEST ADVICE, go to "Tony's" online and order one of the MANY fine speakers he offers. these speakers are MEANT for sound decoders:thumb:. look, this is JUST MY OPINION, AND MY ADVICE.:D