Installing Ditch Lights on F40PH

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Di...We are all afraid of doing something we've never done before...I say...go for it..!! Just a bit of advice of something I learned along the way..DON'T CUT IT TO THE FINAL SIZE REQUIRED. Cut the opening a little undersized and use a small flat jeweler's file to open them up to the right size. And don't rush it...You've got all the time in the world..!!

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Not being familiar with the ditch lights you intend to install...from the picture they seem to be mounted on the inside of the shell with the lens protruding through it. If it's surface mounted...so much the better, although you will still need a hole to pass the wires through. I still say...Go for it..!!

thedowneaster

Brakeman
Apr 3, 2007
NH
1stclass.mylargescale.com
As you know, I'm not a purist when it comes to details....so my MBTA Screamers will have simple round ditch light fixtures. I bought Detail Associates ditch light frames (flush mount). I will drill them out and the shell for GOW incandescent lamps.

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
Mine is going to have LEDs.

Once that is done, I'll repaint the purple stripe and the gold stripes, repaint the headlight (the headlight housing should be purple - no gold on it) and add drop style grabs (Walthers included the straight type grabs which would only work on the nose)

I'll also add DCC, a 6 function decoder meaning I can install marker lights. Headlight will be F0, front markers will be F0 (reverse direction), rear headlight will be F1, rear markers, F2 or I could tie them into the front headlight, and ditch lights will be F3 and F4. (Or F4 and F5 if I wire the markers independant of the headlights)

Then, I'll file off the mars light, add a bell (I need to figure out a way to fabricate a bell bracket since no one seems to make them) and a Details West K5LA.

I'll use a digitrax decoder that can be upgraded to sound with the soundbug so that if it turns out great and I want to add sound in the future, I could do that.

thedowneaster

Brakeman
Apr 3, 2007
NH
Wow, even with pictures I assumed the headlamp housing was silver. Your photo is of a VERY clean engine!

I was able to use bells for GP high hoods. I don't remember the exact details, but i know there was some modification needed. Its super-easy to re-shape the soft metal.

Attachments

• HPIM1244.jpg
    HPIM1244.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 18

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
Thanks!

Did you buy those F40PHs in the MBTA scheme or were they repainted from a different scheme? It looks like those F40PHs have the dynamic brake fan. MBTA's F40PHs do not have dynamic brakes. The Walthers MBTA F40PH is correct and doesn't have the fan, but their amtrak models do.

thedowneaster

Brakeman
Apr 3, 2007
NH
They were Amtrak engines...I mixed up my own blend of purple. Wayyyy closer than Walthers color!

I have a walthers "non-dynamic" insert from another engine that I making a silicone mold from in order to make copies to un-dynamic my screamers.

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
thedowneaster, I noticed that on your MBTA thread, you put diaphragms into your comet coaches. Which brand and item number did you use? I bought a couple pairs of Walthers Rubber ones, but I realized now that I have the wrong kind.

diburning

Jul 2, 2008
only the F40PH-2Cs and F40PHM-2Cs have the round ditch light housings.

They were built that way with ditch lights.

When the original F40PHs were built, they were not built with ditch lights because they were not required by law at the time. After the law was passed, MBTA sent their F40PHs to Amtrak to retrofit them with ditch lights. Amtrak came up with the recessed housing idea so that's how they came to be.