Installing bridges

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
This may be a silly question, but does anyone have any advice / guidance / photos (!) of how bridges and abutments connect - including the plywood or whatever you are using for subroadbed?

I am having trouble imagining how all this comes together. If anyone has a picture... well, you know how much that would be worth!

Thanks!

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Andrew,
I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but I always use a sort of subroadbed under my bridges wich goes direct into the plaster area.
Shamus

Attachments

• bridge.jpg
    bridge.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 267

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Thanks for the picture Shamus!

I am looking for more of a "plan" about how the stuff fits together, so I can answer questions like:

- If I have a 30' bridge, should the gap be 30' (or more, or less???)

- Does the bridge rest on the abutment (I know they do in real life, but what about modelling) or on the subroadbed?

- How to you tie all these pieces (bridge, subroad, roadbed, track, abutment) together so the thing is structurally sound?

- How does the cork roadbed factor into this?

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Originally posted by MasonJar
Thanks for the picture Shamus!

I am looking for more of a "plan" about how the stuff fits together, so I can answer questions like:

- If I have a 30' bridge, should the gap be 30' (or more, or less???)

- Does the bridge rest on the abutment (I know they do in real life, but what about modelling) or on the subroadbed?

- How to you tie all these pieces (bridge, subroad, roadbed, track, abutment) together so the thing is structurally sound?

- How does the cork roadbed factor into this?

Andrew

Okay, if your bridge is 30" then the subroadbed (Which forms the bridge) would have to be at least 33" giving you 1 and 1/2" eitherside to rest on the main frame.
Don't use cork on a bridge, just marry up the bridge height either side.
The bridge will rest on the abutments, which should have some sort of support underneath.

Shamus

jim currie

Jun 29, 2003
arizona
Visit site
andrew

what kind of track are you using on first layout i hand laid track and all bridges were built on bench supports and all except track, then placed on layout then of track laid right over bridge .worked well for me dont know if anyone else has tried this.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi Andrew!
I don't know if this will help, but here's how I built a couple of bridges on my latest layout project...

This one is called the Catt's Creek bridge.
I built it at the workbench, using a piece of flex-track, some styrene, a couple of Atlas girders, & some H&R stone sheet...

Attachments

• ccbr1.jpg
    ccbr1.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 189

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
After everything was painted, I installed it onto the foam scenic base, cutting places in the foam to accomodate the piers, & shimming the bottom of the piers with cardboard to connect them with the scenery...

Attachments

• ccbefore.jpg
    ccbefore.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 190

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Then using sculptamold, plaster, & various ground cover, I built the scenery up around the bridge...

Attachments

• ccafter.jpg
    ccafter.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 190