Information on HMCS Bonaventure

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by schatzy-d, Sep 30, 2007.

1. schatzy-d

schatzy-d New Member

A friend of mine at our local Legion is an exceptionaly talented wood carver. He has done several ships, one a destroyer, another a corvette. I asked him when he was going to do the HMCS Bonaventure (Canada's Aircraft Carrier). He needs the plans. Please, if anyone out there has information on the Bonaventure, ie blueprints etc. let me know.

Thnx
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Visit the Shearwater Aviation Museum's website. There you can purchase the book about the Bonnie.
  3. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

I just got a hold of the book mentioned above and I must admit that the drawings are not spectacular but they are the only game in town i have contacted the builder of two of the HMCS Bonaventures currently displayed in museum and neither were willing to part with their drawings for love or money. I am also going to make an HMCS Bonaventure. See Vautour/Ships - HMCS Athabaskan G-07 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting for photos of my HMCS Athabaskan G07.
  4. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Who was it that you spoke to?

Rob?
  5. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

I sent e-mails to Mr Hayes but I will have to research my e-mail archives for the other name. I think he may have been associated with the museum in Hamilton. I also had some e-mail traffic with the Shearwater museum and told that the builder considered his model to be one of a kind leading me to believe no interest in sharing. Regradless, I will attempt a build using the hull cross sections and what ever availabe pictures I find on line.

Lou
  6. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I live only a few minutes away. The only way your going to get blueprints other than SAM is the actual company that built her in Belfast by Harland and Wolff.
  7. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

I borrowed a copy of the Bonaventure book from a friend. It does contain hull lines and a profile although the profile is in three pieces. I think one can make a decent hull from these. I have already enlarged station 103 which is roughly centre of the ship and it's beam will measure 25.4 cm with a ship lenght of a little over 2.2 meters. It will be a two to three year project and due to the size will have to be a built up hull instead of a true solid I was planning on. At 1/96 scale, all aircraft will have to be hand crafted. I will post details as they become available.
  8. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Cool. I had already started on line drawings BASED on that book as textures for the model. I am hoping to have it for my Uncle who served on her and was part of the actual first crew that picked her up overseas.
  9. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

What scale are you building?
  10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Havent nailed it down yet as the digital details can go from 100-250. I would be leaning towards 1/200 though.
  11. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

I have been keeping tabs on OZMOD and their promissed carrier fleet. In talking to Greg Anderson (OZMOD), he indicated that the person responsible for completing the project was a year behind schedule. I have not inquired lately. You can check out the 1/350 scale creation at Majestic and Collosus Class Carriers Preview (OzMods 1/350)

Lou
  12. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

While that is interesting the majestic class was a straight through deck and the bonnie had that coupled with the angled deck so the hard part for me is if I used the existing majestic/colosus design, I would have to find the differences in the ship's construction to pull off the final design properly.

It's probably more work than say designing it from scratch.

The big benefit in using the majestic/colossus hull is that it is pretty much the same.
  13. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

What is your building medium, wood or card?

Lou
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Card all the way.

The idea is to not create a one-off but a set of 8.5x11 sheets for print as a package.
  15. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

Steve, I have started my HMCS Bonaventure in solid wood in 1/350 Scale. I have the flight deck cut out and the hull in block form but not carved to shape yet. I plan on doing this shortly. tomorrow I plan on doing the rough shape of the island. I have already done one Tracker. The size is not quite what I wanted, but resources are at a low ebb these days. I have a photos on line at http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/normal_DSCF8850.JPG
    and http://smm.solidmodelmemories.net/Gallery/albums/userpics/normal_DSCF8975.JPG

Forum
    Solid Model Memories.net - Index
    Gallery
    Solid Model Memories - Home

Photos of the Bonaventure will be taken after I carve the hull.

Lou
  16. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

17. barry

barry Active Member

18. Plastic Bonsai

Plastic Bonsai Member

French Archive

Barry

That is one marvellous site. Several tempting projects there. I don't suppose there are any other sites like it for UK/US ships?
  19. lastvautour

lastvautour New Member

HMCS Bonaventure

I have finished my 1/350 solid wood HMCS Bonaventure including four Trackers and a HO4S. This was a very satisfying project. I made a number of new friends and I have started a 1/144 scale version. Click these links for additional pictures [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  20. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Nice job! Have you been to the Shearwater Aviation Museum to see the (1/72 I think scale) huge scratchbuilt one?