Information 4 New Guy

ckarman85

Feb 22, 2003
wisconsin
Visit site
Recently I took my son (3 yrs) to a train show, he loves them. It got me excited about model trains as well. I got my set out of storage after 30 years. Is there a good magazine to get to help me out and read about this interesting hobby??? I have a HO set made by Tyco. Looking to expand and add to the set.

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Welcome aboard The Gauge ckarman, and it's good to see the youngsters take an interest at such an early stage.

Model Railroader is probably the most popular magazine for general interest in this hobby with Model Railroad Craftsman being a very close second.

All in all though, other than the advertisements in those mags The Gauge provides more extensive cover with photos and, best of all, darned quick replies to any queries you have.

Wishing you a great renewed and rewarding interest in the hobby.

Errol

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
Welcome Aboard CK....Check out Model Railroad Craftsman and Model Railroader...Most hobby shops carry them and so does Books-A-Million, Barnes and Noble and Walden Books.

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Nice to have you on board, ckarman!

Apart from reading the magazines like Model Railroader or Railroad Model Craftsman there are also fine books around, exactly tailored for beginners. They cover all aspects of the hobby - from tracklaying and wiring to building scenery and painting/weathering rolling stock.

Try this link to Kalmbach Publications . The first and third book could be what you are looking for.

Happy railroading! :)

Ron

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
It's a FUN Hobby!

Welcome aboard, ckarman! Books and magazines are great learning tools, but they don't always address the
specific problem you're looking at...and that's where the mighty GAUGE comes in. I can't even count the number of times I've had the basic information from a book or magazine improved by useful help from gaugers.:)

All the best of luck to you. Love to hear how things progress.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Recently I took my son (3 yrs) to a train show, he loves them. It got me excited about model trains as well

Welcome CK,
Was the show in Madison, or Trainfest in Milwaukee? I didn't get to Madison, as I was doing a mall show in West Dundee, Il., but I can understand how going to any of those shows could generate excitement.
Model Railroader, and Railroad Model Craftsman, are good starts, as well as the Kalmbach publications on "how to". You have found one of the finest sources for information right here on the gauge. Seek, and you'll find, ask and you'll get answers

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
Welcome Aboard!!!

Same from me - Model RR & Model Craftsman & this board!!

It's a little more that 2 years old & you can see by the responses you have received about this one question, how good we are at supplying fast & accurate answers!

Best of Luck with sharing this Common Ground with your son!! :) :) :)

Matt Probst

Mar 15, 2002
Hershey,Pa.
Visit site
Hi! Welcome to the best, most informative and most FUN forum out there! There are many great knowledgeable and "museum quality" modelers here that love to promote the hobby through their patience with new-comers and their expertise. I have been modeling for 10 to 12 years and my skills have improved immeasurably since joining the-Gauge! All those stacks of Model Railroader magazines and I still check "here" first for any question I may have. I also share the hobby with my 4 year old son and it's a GREAT bonding experience!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

vanda32547

Jun 4, 2002
Miami Florida
www.geocities.com
Welcome to The Gauge...

All the recommendations are right on the money. I envy you being able to see the joy and excitement through your childs eyes. At his age you may find him expecting overnight transformation of your layout. make sure he understands that half the fun is in creating and working on the layout...together.

Good luck in your renewed interest and congrats to your son for having such an interest. :D