Informatin needed on Sessom's system

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Think I posted my original question on the wrong forum. I did get a number of views but no answers on my "Logging Question" under T Q&A. Want to do a new N Track module showing the Sessom's system of hoisting and lowering a log car up a very steep grade, probably 30 degrees depending on my module size. I purchaed Willamette's Iron and Steel Works book at a recent train show and found the equipment and three views of the system. The pictures need a little more clarification to make my module work. I have searched the internet and could find nothing further. Need some help here fellow modelers! Here is one picture showing a system of double tracks. the loaded goes down and an empty comes back.

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
I am interested in the sheaves alongside the tracks to keep the line from dragging. How did the line from the block car feed into these? It looks like the block car is nothing but a giant pulley on wheels, did it have extensions to feed the lines into the sheaves. Also was the block car seperate and loaded log cars attached to it? Questions, Questions.

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
These are some scans of the Sessoms hillside logging system. These are from page 75 of the October 1913 issue of the Timberman magazine.

Jimmy "B"

Attachments

• Sessoms02.jpg
    Sessoms02.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 72

lassenlogger

Nov 24, 2003
Reno, NV
home.att.net
Also there is information and photographs on the Sessom's System on page 188 and 189 in Merv Johnson's book titled "In Search of Steam Donkeys."

Hope this helps.

Jimmy "B"
Lawton, NV

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Jimmy that was perfect, thank you ever so much. You answered all my questions and now I can start planning my new NTrak module. Think it will be an interesting one and I hope to make an animated one. Lot of kinks to work out, to get down to "N" scale, but think it can be done. Guess I will have to bend the NTrak standards for module construction again. Will definitely be beyond the 2 foot width on this one.

Jim thanks again, you've got my mind racing with details and plans.