Info On Abandoned Line In Iowa

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- North America' started by Cannonball, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More as I find it.
  2. Cannonball

It's interesting because where the line runs through those trees does not line up where th line should have run. (Unless it was REALLY curvy) I really wish I could find a map of this thing.

Apparently there are other abandoned lines in Iowa as well but the Peavine was the only one I know of in this area.
  3. Cannonball

hhhhmmmm....... I wonder how accurate my photos are..... I know that further down that road, there are old railroad ties, but going by Google satellite maps, things don't match up. Stockport is where the old Peavine/CB&Q Station is. Records say that the line went from Stockport to Burmingham which is almost due West. The place where I took the pictures is Southwest of stockport. Strange.
  4. Chad

Chad Member

In a forest 15 miles from my house there are some reminents of an old track but you cannot find any information on where it went other than it was part of a USAF nuclear testing facility that was sealed up arround 1970.
  5. Cannonball

If it was part of a nuke testing facillity, that's probably why you can't find any info on it. :D
  6. Chad

Chad Member

Yeah? LOL That was my point ;)
  7. brakie

brakie Active Member

I have research miles of track from long gone Kentucky short lines to branch line abandonments and its never easy finding the facts and the real story..
    I am currently researching the old W&LE yard in Huron(Oh).This yard is currently being used by I believe the "new" Wheeling.However,its supposedly joint trackage with NS.
    I see cars in this yard and there is 3-4 rail served industries besides the Huron Ore Dock.This seems to be a small operation.
    The point is check the C.B. & Q Historical Society for information.Check with the County Historical Society as well.
    Now remember things are not always as they appear..Maybe that old road bed is a old short line or a different railroad.Could it be from a Interurban line?
    Research is fun and the tons of information received is priceless if one is modeling that area or likes railroad history.
  8. Cannonball

D'oh.... Shoulda seen that. :oops:
  9. Cannonball

I plan on doing some more digging on this.
    My grandfather should ahve some info on this as well.
    I think the line was still running when he was a kid but I'm not positive.
  10. Cannonball