Info about Water

joe b

Aug 28, 2005
Hi all:
I need help with water. I see some products out thear ,but I don't have a clue which is best . I just have a small pond with a creek. Please let me know what you think is best . Also how do you color it.?
Thanks Much

Joe B

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Woodland Scenics has a couple of products that simulte water. One, you can pour from a bottle in the spot where you want it. Its best to do layers. Another is plastic pellletts that you melt than pour. I have both, but since I'm not ready for water yet, haven't tried any of them.
To color, since real water is actually clear, the beast thing to color is paint the bottom. Start out dark, like a black, and lighten it as you get closer to the banks with a brown or sand color. blending it with the bank.
Hope this helps.

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have a web article about "what I did" to make a pond out of a cardboard party balloon at:

http://www.pacificcoastairlinerr.com/scenery/ballon_pond/

balloon_retaining_pond.JPG

Thank you if you visit
Harold

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,

MR Magazine is coming out with a series of DVD's chuck-full of "How-to" articles. It's got a piece on doing water, as well as many other good ideas. They've got what I call "I can do that" articles. Check them out.

Gus (LC&P).

Putt

Oct 15, 2005
Bowie, MD
Man that looks great. Good use of the grey matter. Nice job. That pond looks as good as I've seen. Nice job.
Tom

hminky

Oct 13, 2004
I have done some experimenting with reflective Mylar sheeting. It has shown some promise.

mylar_tissue_smooth.JPG

This is Mylar tissue lightly sprayed with Dullcote to duplicate dust on the water and dampen the mirror finish. The tissue is too thin (.0005) and I have some samples of thicker Mylar that I want to experiment with.

Just a thought
Harold